08 Estimates

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by landscapingpoolguy, Mar 27, 2008.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how everyone's year is looking? Ive done at least $500k in proposals this year and wow am I dissapointed at what I have signed up so far. Most people are telling me that Im too expensive, which I already know that Im always the highest price, but even on some of these jobs where profit margins are just that, marginal Im loosing bids. Most people I cant even get on the phone just for a yes, no, or maybe, lets talk about it conversation. These jobs have been anywhere from 10 - 100k. Usually by then end of March I have almost 6 months planned out! Anyone else in a similar boat right now?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We are in a similar situation...three small proposals that went out within the last ten days...nothing major, two patios and one walk. All three came back with..."We don't want to spend that much" I was real confident after leaving two of the three that we could land the job. Now I'm not so sure.

Thank goodness we still do the landscape maintenance side of things.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Its hit or miss. I've kind of walked right into a few good projects. Advertising is getting worst response #s ever, but quality of calls are up. We are selling jobs at great #s. People are asking us to scale back our jobs, not to lower their prices.

Don't worry. People still are not thinking spring yet. If you do good work and are honest, you will always have work.

4. landscapingpoolguy

When I meet with someone I discuss ball park pricing always!!!!! Then once they hear the number, Ill ask them if that is a number we can work with! Some are scared away and others give me pretty much what there budgets really are. The only thing I have goin for me right now is REFERRALS!!!! Everything else is hit or miss!

5. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We are probably on track with past history. We have about a half dozen estimates out with a couple more do out in the next few days.

We have one signed, 2 Verbal yes's, and two very promising jobs. So I would have to say, assuming we sign all these, were probably about signing about 80% of our proposals thus far.

We are often told our prices are a bit higher than expected, however, these customers almost always get additional estimates. Which usually puts us in the middle. So our history, and references usually kick in and close the deal.

6. landscapingpoolguy

OK maybe its just me but I just counted and so far I did 25 proposals this month with about 10 in front of me that I havent had a chance to look at yet. I started one a week or so ago and we just finsihe dup a winter job today

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

25 proposals thats alot! Your phone is ringing more then mine!

I am still finshing up my job from the fall. Not counting that I did 5 proposals and signed 5 jobs. All referal/repeat customers. I am meeting tommorrow to go over a very big job from a advertisement lead, hopefully that goes well. Its even in your area. So there is still work out there, you just need to look for it.

8. landscapingpoolguy

I over Market myself every year so that I have my pick of jobs. But this year I cant seem to close a deal!

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

This year it seems that people are tightening there budgets a little more than in the past. I have heard it several times this year about being to high on price and were really not any higher than anyone else. Looks like this is the year of the lowballer. I'm not going to lower my price or my quality of work so if people won't pay we just won't do the work. Instead we will just sit around and let all the lowballers do all the work this year and wait until next year for customers to call to have us come out and fix all the f**ck ups that were done by some lowballer who cut corners to save money. I've been around for a long time and these times come and go, some years people forget the old saying "you get what you pay for" but they soon remember.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

Booked for the year.