.095 to .105 line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, May 17, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been thinking about switching to .105 line from .095. I have a BCZ26 Redmax, so I think the trimmer can handle it, but wondering if it will cause more wear and tear on the engine? Will the bigger line make a big difference in how long it lasts or how quickly it will trim?

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I switched from .105 to .095 even on my big Honda. I see no advantage unless you are cutting tall weeds. I don't see .105 last any longer and I can wind more onto the head with .095.

That's just me.

3. mds2000

mds2000 LawnSite Member

i run stihls i swithched last year your motor should be fine but have to be careful the .105 can do a lot of damage fast ( burn turf , sidding ,trees ect ) worth the switch but be carefull till you get used to it. before i switched i got a 50ft role to try it before going to the 50$ role.

i am using to stihl x line it takes a bit of time to get the feel but its fast and does a nice finish .

4. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, if you are not careful you can really tear up the turf with .105 line. I tried to make the switch last summer. I did not give it enough time to get used to it and went back to .95.

5. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I always run 105 on man heads then this year I switched to 95 for the new Stihl auto head. The line is green and its Stihl or Echo and it aint worth chit splits on the end to easy. Ive got some other green line in 105 thats good and the other is the Husky Titanium. Between any of it I really cant tell any diff on the machine except you can put more on with the 95. The Husky is the best I have used so far.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if husky ti is the best you have tried so far..... you havnt tried very many types of string. husky is garbage-the worst i have used. it cant cut and you go tru it like water on a hot day

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I use Echo Crossfire .105 on my Echo 265. I noticed no engine differences between the two lines, but dang, I really like how the .105 cuts. I have a few places that get string-trimmed with heavy weekly growth, and man, I love how the .105 cuts right through it.

However, I plan on keeping my Red Max 2301 at .95. I want that trimmer as light and efficient as possible. I didn't get it to cut heavy stuff...just weekly resi easy trimming.

8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the only stuff I have found on a cemetery thats works. It is better than anything I have used Echo or Stihl and 5 other brands. Maybe you just got a bad batch.

9. BigGreen1

BigGreen1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mike,

In a hurry the other day I purchased Echo .095 string. I am impressed with it because while edging it doesn't wobble all over the place-it flies in a true plane. The .105 string I have used has had a greater tendency to break off at the head.

My 2 cents worth,
    Tim

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I am not that good of a trimmer to tell the detail, all I can say is after I finish the spool of Husqvana .105 titanium line, I put the old 0.095 line I have in and it just feel better, smoother and I don't feel I loss anything. So I have no intention of changing back.