1,000,000 Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jas4906, Dec 4, 2005.

1. jas4906

jas4906 LawnSite Member

I just landed a contract that requires 1,000,000 General and 1,000,000 Auto Liability for each vehicle on job site.. Any Suggestions?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If the contract supports it than get it. If not, By By.
    This is called overhead and is what people talk about when they tell you to know your costs and charge for them.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Wait a minute....

How did you 'land' the contract already if you do not currently meet the requirements? Or do you? And if you do, what's the question?

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

He lied and said he had it on the bid submitted and now that they accepted he ned to produce the proof The problem is he does not know how much its gonna cost for the ins. so he might be paying to go to work :dizzy: :dizzy:

5. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

You need the liability, I HAVE NEVER heard of a coverage on the trucks, teh concern of the client should be have liability that you need in most states to have a car on the road anyway,
    check your policy you may find that standard liability for your trucks covers what you need, ( and if you lied) which I doubt. then good for you now get the insurance and do the freakin work, take your lumps and Pray that you can bid it next round a little better and cover what it cost you.
    If you have good record you should have no problem getting the ins. my liability coverage is only $250 a year. and I am sure that my standard coverage of liability on my truck is 1 mill.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same request for 1,000,000 on auto. I have a million in liability, so I asked them if it covered my trucks, they said that it didn't, so I asked them for a quote... $5,000 more a year... I said get lost. I contacted my current auto insurance company and got a quote for a million in auto...It raised me around 1000.00 from my current payment/year.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I see you are in the same county here in NC that I am so you must not have any large major commercial contracts here as I have several of them that require proof of a higher than the state required $25K minimum liability coverage on vehicle(s). Here the requirement in those types of contracts is for $300K minimum vehicle insurance as the is the most the state will allow in general vehicle liability coverage (as the states set vehicle coverage amounts/limits)

and I also guarantee you that your coverage on your trucks in NC is not $1M.....esp for only $250 a year.....at that small rate you probably have $50K MAX liability coverage on the truck and even that's only if you actually have your vehicle insured commercially and are running "Weighted" (what use to be "Commercial" tags) if not then you just have plain old vehicle liability coverage at the state standard of $25K.

8. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

My full time job is the Purchasing Manager for a large corporation here in Tennessee. All of my contractors I hire (including lawn maintenance) are required to carry 1 mil on both liability and vehicles. This is standard here for most large commercial work.payup

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Each state must be differnt in min. vehical coverage. But I carry 1 mil on trucks, the bigger contracting company and most snow plow coverage requires 1 mil trucks and 1mil liability on "finshed product" as minumums