$1,000,000 ordinance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn dawg, Nov 14, 2002.

1. lawn dawg

lawn dawg LawnSite Member

A city up this way has passed an ordinance that declares:
    It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the commercial activity or business of planting, cutting, trimming, pruning, removing, spraying, or otherwise treating trees, shrubs, or vines within the city without first producing evidence of certification/license issued by the city manager. Before any license shall be issued, each applicant shall first file evidence of possession of workers' comp and liability insurance in the minimum amounts of $1,000,000.00 for bodily injury or death and $100,000.00 property damage indemnifying the city or any person injured or damaged resulting from the pursuit of such endeavor as herein described.
    Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Wow! Thats the law everywhere I think, but not really an ordinance (what's the difference?) This issue needs to be enforced everywhere!

3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

wish it were here, call it the scrub eliminator!

4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

LawnDawg... what city is it in?

I wouldn't mind if every city required it - good way to legitimize the industry and the operators.

I would just want to make sure they enforce it if they have it on the books. Too many laws on the books now as it is which aren't enforced.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

We have something similar here. A business license is $400 every 2 years, and at renewal you must submit a current certificate of insurance. Might seem like it would keep unlicensed, uninsured operators off the street, but the laws aren't enforced. I have never in 8 years seen a Consumer Affairs officer anywhere. There are plenty of unlicensed guys still running around. Very aggravating. Mike

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, what would it really take to get the County off their butt and actually do something about all the unlicensed and illegals??????? We pay them so we supposedly aren't going to get in trouble, but they don't do anything to the guys that don't play by the rules ... sometimes I ask myself "why should we?".

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good ordinance to me. I'm already in compliance, and some of the guy's making it harder for me to make a living are not in compliance. I say do it EVERYWHERE.

8. That is ruff. That city is not very business friendly. Where I am at the city only requires a once a year $20 permit to be in business. No insurance or any of that other garbage is needed. You might want to consider relocating to a more business friendly area.

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i love that idea, time to email my city council.

10. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Wish we had something like that around here.