1-2-3 Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Grassman08, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

Does any one know, or used the ICT Organics Compost Tea? My question is: the rate says 1 oz. treats 3000 square feet.; Now is that 1 oz. in 1 gallon or 3 gallons? May this be up to the applicator, or does ICT have an recommended rate? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

As with applying most, dare I say, pesticides, the user determines what rate to spray the dilute. If the labels reads it then yes you use 1 oz of the concentarte per 3,000 square feet. You decide how many gallons per 1,000 to spray. We do most foliar apps out here at 1 gallon per 1,000 K. The 123 suggests you spray 3 gallons per thousand. That way you get the spray till drip. Bill might have more to pipe in.

3. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

If I am correct 1 quart of 123 covers 90,000 square feet. For every 3 gallons of water you should add 1 ounce of product.
    When applying you are actually applying .36 ounces of product per 1,000 square feet. I have been applying it this way with no problems.

Mike

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how long have you been applying it? how often do you spray it? what do you charge and do you have any pics? just curious because i'm trying to figure a way to work it into my programs, but would be interested in someone elses thoughts who has been using it longer.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I think that the whole point of organics is being lost to the label, tea is not a chemical, even ICT. the whole point is that organics are not an out of the box or jug thing, we need to learn more than the label say-es, in the mean time, thanks Bill for helping the less........ equipped to go organic.

you guys should try his NPP product, its like love in a jug!!!

6. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

treegal1:
    Where can I find info on this NPP product, I am interested in learning more about it. I have only read a few articles on compost tea, so I am pretty green on all the ins and outs of it. From what I read it sounds like a great product, so thats why I am trying it on my own lawn first, If there is a better product out there let's explore the options.

7. livingsoils

treegal: what is the NPP, not much info on it. Do you use it with the 123 compost tea? What kind of results are you seeing?

8. livingsoils

I have been testing it out on my lawn to see if it will work into my program. Where I see the difference is when I did some Spring seeding. I know Spring is not the best time to seed but the seed germinated very quickly and is very healthy. I seeded 2 weeks ago and I can't believe how quickly the seed started to establish. I will have to cut it next week :laugh:(not really but soon).
    This would be great product to work in with your fall renovation. You will be a hero to your customers!:weightlifter:

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

the NPP is ICT Bills product, we just tried some and love it, it is something that works well after tea, theres a thread about it
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=231259

its an all natural so it will fly with my program. good real compost tea is something that we make our self, but when we started we used "jar tea" like bills, just way more expensive, we wish that we had access to ICT products back then, now we make or buy bulk almost every thing in our arsenal( mostly we DIY) the reduction in bag-ed goods was the real push this last year or 2. the soy has all but slowed to non existence, 2 pallets per year, and we are out of using CMG it did not get the results per $ that we wanted, we still use some, 1 pallet per year just as a spot treatment or start up. after that its hand weed and compost/ tea. we have our own worm farm and we make our own compost to our desired out come, if it had to have a fert label it would be pretty hot stuff. we also use some " soil foods" like molasses and fish oils( DIY FISH OILS) other than that its just simple organics.

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

The thing to remember is that the water is just a carrier for the beneficials some spray at 2 gallons per 1000 (our suggested minimum) so you would add 1 ounce of #2 and 1 ounce of #3 to 6 gallons of water. some like to use much more water.

The NPP is made from crab shells and is a naturally occuring polymer that holds water and nutrients in the soil. It also has a couple interesting other uses. Some call it a wetting agent and it is used for hot spots in golf and sports turf

When it comes in contact with fungi like pythium, red thread or take all patch it melts it (hydrolyzes it) some folks called yesterday (South Carolina, St. Augustine) and said it stopped take all patch in its tracks, they saw new growth in 3 or 4 days. he said take all patch will turn a very nice lawn into dirt in less than a week. NPP stopped it completely and turned it around right away. This was on several lawns around the area they serve.

You have to keep it aggitated when spraying tho it will sink right to the bottom of the tank when mixed with water. It is as safe as it gets, municipal water systems use a form of it to flocculate drinking water