1/2" by 300' or 3/8" by 400'

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

whats everyone prefer on their space savers
  2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

3/8th by 400 worked best for me....that is until the perma green came along! 3/8th much easier pulling to work with and getting out for long pulls.
  3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

im 5-11" 235 pounds so i just lean in a little 1/2 is fine. Dragging thru the dog chite is a whole nother problem.
  4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

3/8" by 400 but then again I am 5' 10" 185lbs little guy ya know and I try to make all of my equipment as lite as possible.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

400ft of 3/8. Same size as cod8825. I like to make it as easy on myself as possible and I have some long pulls on quite a few lawns and even some that I would run out of hose if I didn't back down a driveway or 2. It's times like that I'm glad I have the extra 100ft.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

You need to decide whether you need it more for tree care or lawn care first, the reason I say this is that's where youll find the biggest difference.
  7. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

400' of 3/8 always works for us. The question is why would you need the 1/2 inch hose? How much volume are you going to be using, because our flow rate with the 3/8 is adequate for everything we do in turf care.

8. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We changed out 3 of our reels 2 yrs. ago. from 1/2 300ft. to 3/8 400ft. It was the best move we could have made. I never understood why you would need 1/2 hose, unless you were spraying trees and needed the extra volume. Even with 3/8 you can run 2 gal per min. without any problems. I'm sure if you bumped the pressure you could even get close to 3 gal.

It sure makes it a lot easier for the log pulls, and the extra 100ft sure helps. We use 1/2 on our "bare ground sprayer" just because it is less likely to kink, and it is a lot "tougher" pulling through gravel and around piping on oil field leases.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are doing Termite Pretreats @ 100 gallon per thousand for construction a 3/8 hose is all you need. I apply @ 7 gallon per thousand with a 3/8 hose. For those applying at a gallon a thousand a 1/4 will work great. My weed control hose is just 1/4 and does a fine job @ one gallon a thousand.
  10. GreenCare Consulting

GreenCare Consulting LawnSite Member

Good point, Ric. I agree wholeheartedly. How many feet can you fit on the standard reel?