1-2 gpm zone leak (when turned on), cant find.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Nov 2, 2012.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Close it off again and induce air. Make a .25 npt adapter and start with low pressure. Increase pressure as needed. Sometimes a mixture of air and water has to be used but air will surface when water won't.

Don't get in too much of a hurry to cut or dig, you'll end up with a more harmonious outcome
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

BTW Rhett, your best bet to locate the pipe is dowsing with your voodoo sticks.

A chatterbox is a circuit interrupter for finding valves. A plastic pipe locator is too expensive for most of us to buy.

With some practice most anybody can be consistant with a single or pair of sticks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I do not think I understand the problem either...

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Alright now I understand. Sorry, I was on day 3 of staring at a set sheet for a commercial bid... that's another thread through.

Did the original contractor build the house addition over a live lateral, which is now under the house? I have never had that happen on a house addition, but I have seen a lot of patios built over live irrigation laterals that ended up breaking.

You might call in a plumber or rent a snake with a camera, then scope the drain tile and see where the water is coming from. It will at least get you closer.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That was going to be my recommendation as well. Turn off water supply, and use an air compressor to try and force either air bubbles or loose dirt to the surface. Do you know where all the zone valves are? You could also turn flow controls off and see if that helps. Do that one by one.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've induced air to find a leak also by looking for bubbles.I've also put the screws to the system AFTER I told the client that this is a last resort as the chances of blowing the offending leak out of the ground are real good. :cry:

7. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

......................oops, be right back

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  8. Mike Leary

Sure would have been impossible with my W*M brass nozzles.

9. Mike Leary

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

great advice if nothing else, cuz air is much easier to find than water when it comes to leaks.