Lawn Care Forum banner

1-2 gpm zone leak (when turned on), cant find.

10K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  1idejim 
#1 ·
Cant find a leak...

How do i find it?

Large low laying deck, underside too low for crawl.

A drain tile will flow the leak after a few minutes of run.
Cant hear the sounds of flowing water from anywhere, Execpt the drain tile exit.

Supposedly the drain tile is under the house...

House addition, but reportedly piped around after construction.

stumped....

#27 ·
perhaps not seen from the view, to the "right" side of that new concrete is a 5 foot dropoff, the drive being in-itself also a retaining wall... aside a comminity canal? perhaps

the meter is in the topleft

valve to left of steping stone path

controller on bottom right corner of house

the heads on that zone are in the turf on the small strip to the right of the original concrete.

so basically, the water flow "horse-shoes" the house

.....for all its worth in mentioning...

wuchuthhink

#30 ·
I forgot: we had a bucket of these for not only install caps, but to trouble-shoot leaks.

rainbird.com/landscape/products/dripControl/xeriCaps.htm
I used to use the 10/32 ft to 1/2" IPT adapters with a cap to cap off heads and find leaks. The last time I used those was on a job where an ex navy guy said there was a leak on one zone because it took 30 seconds longer to come on. There was a leak on a crappy glue joint but after that still the same complaint. I think I would find where the valve is where the line runs ut to the last head and then look in between. Air would be a good option.

#31 ·
thank you thank you thank you.

I mean to try air compressor at the next chance. But first, two curiositys....
____
If i remember correctly, someone once told me that air compresses, and water does not, then.... what are the important dangers of using air, what things should i absolutely understand if nothing else.....
___
secondly, considering that: IF the leak happened to finally leak out from under the new driveway/retaining wall, being at the very center- the worst case i would imagine , or even under the new house addtion (the square piece in the bottom/south/lower)......

it would seem that all reasonable solutions, include re-routing the lateral from the zone manifold around the front, and under the driveway to reach the top-right corner sod.

Or moving the valve near the MV, and continuing the wire out there from the current manifold......

If the leak is under the house or drive, (which connect: concrete-to-concrete), making up the ultimate edge of the property all concrete,
and the only apparent solution is to re-route around,
Does it make sense to use air and prove to myself that it is infact under the house? (if infact.)

My latest evidence of trying to determine whether it's "before the house/drive", or "under the housedrive" is:
I took off the double-elbow gutter to spout connection, and used a spot light to look down the spout into, atleast one drain tile....
when the zone is on, and leaking, i see no flow thought the drain tile Tee below.....
yet, when i turn on a water hose, fed into the spout, water exits from the same drain tile piece as the leak.

#32 ·
Or to really rattle ur cages.....

Though perhaps frowned on, but i imagine a few headaches more easy......

There are solely 3 spray heads located in that top right piece,
and another spray zone just on the other side of the driveway :eek: ?.....

Using t-precisions ! Three! (two 10H and one 12H)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.