1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1/2 inch tap (for threading stripped threads, duh)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mr.cactus, May 27, 2008.

1. Mr.cactus

Mr.cactus LawnSite Member
    from Brea CA

Does any one know of a tap that can be used to repair stripped 1/2 inch threads. Many of times I come to home owner systems were they have stripped the threads in the ground and I (and the homeowner) don't want to replace the fitting due to it being in a bad spot (right by a wall) So I was wondering if there was a product like a riser extractor type product used for rethreading.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Buy some marlex elbows, and thread one of them into the 'ruined' fitting, and work from there.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

PVC? Galvanized? Poly? I think there is a tool you can use, but if it's poly or PVC just rip it out and do it over. I know it may take more time and especially if in a tight area but in the long run it will probably be better. I have done the soft marlex ell trick as well.
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not in irrigation guys, but would something like this work?
    thread repair but your talking about the other threads aren't you? never mind.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

sometimes just threading a galvi or other metal fitting onto it , them back off can do it.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Words of wisdom from the least coast.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've used a metal nipple as a 'tap' once or twice, but I like the marlex.
  8. Ditto... I go marlex my self.
  9. mowzum

mowzum LawnSite Member

marlex here also with teflon if the threads are really hammered
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic