1/2 inch wide edging trench....HOW?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acme Bunny, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Acme Bunny

Acme Bunny LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have 2 miles of edging to do on an account. Currently there is gap along the curb due to a paving crew caving them in.

My stick edger is not going to cut it on this one. The blades are to soft to last and I still barely penatrate below the curb edge.

I would like to put an edge down like I see on one of my competitors accounts. He has a very small trench, about 1/2" wide, along the curb. I thought his crew had made the trench with a bed edger. However, I have not found one locally that will make this narrow of a trench and they do not have a guide to keep from damaging the curb.

Does anyone know what machine they are using or how they do it? Maybe a wheeled trimmer like a Little Wonder?

Thanks,

Drew

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly being done with string..... I use my trimmer to edge, and in cases where I'm not extra careful, the edges sometimes appear like a small trench, approx 1/2" wide like you describe.... why do you think your stick edger wont do it? If the edge is already established, it should do fine. I dont own an edger, just use the trimmer, and I can maintain an edge easily...... stick edger should maintain an edge even easier.

3. Try an "edgit", you can find those at most mower shops.
    That should give you the gap your looking for.

Steve

4. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I second Navig8r-It is probably a string trimmer my guys do it on some edges(we stick edge mostly) I hate it and think it is a ankle buster-Harry

5. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

Use a wheel edger and bevel the blade or double blades.
    I've done it many times.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I think your stick edger will do the trick IF you run it on the GRASS side, not on the curb itself. Some of my jobs I have to do the same. If I ran it on the curb, just not enough blade penetrates. But if I run it on the grass, does a nicer job. Not sure if this applies to your particular job, but it sounds like it.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Use a wheeled edger with a spacer ( 2 fender washers )between 2 blades to get the width you want.

Gene

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In the first place, you are NOT going to excavate 2 inches of earth out of there with a string trimmer, so the "edgit" deal is out of the question. But what's more important than that, is why would you want to butcher a curbline like that, ANYway? First rule of soil 101. Any time you have bare ground exposed, all you are going to grow there is weeds. And yes, weeds WILL fill in and infest the area that is bare. You would have to keep up this 1/2" wide strip with either the string trimmer (once it's cut), or always spray it with a herbicide, which can also lead to margin for the grass to be affected. Take a good long look at what it is that is being done there. Just because it's a little different does NOT mean that it's better. It is a mess, that I equate to something like what a homeowner would do that doesn't have a clue, or a rank amateur that doesn't have the access to edge it properly and professionally. Look at estates and such. Do THEY have a big 2" trench dug down their drive and walks? I think not. Nevermind what the "competitors" are doing. They are not always right, nor are they better off.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a pic of the Edgit device. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Runner-YES string will excavate soil out of an edge,maybe not 2 inces but the poster said a1/2 inch. It happens when, week after week you edge with a string trimmer taking off more turf and soil each time. as opposed to a stick edger that rides along the concrete. Why anyone would want to do this is beyond me. But different strokes for different folks-Harry