1/2 inch zoysia roots from scalping

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mrmumbels, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

I had a posting about my Zoysia roots being only 1/2 inch long and have come to the conclusion that it's from scalping. Last fall i scallped my lawn badly trying to get it down from a 4 inch cut. I knew I wasn't supposed to scalp zoysia but I tested a spot first and it came back alright so I decided to do it all. I guess i didn't realize that after the first scalping the roots are still there and it can make a comeback but after a scalping and constant scalping it ended up killing off the roots until there was nothing.:hammerhead: Those that have seen my lawn pictures will see that some of the lawn did in fact recover. Why only those sections recovered, I don't know but I wish I did.

Anyway, to make a long story short - HOW CAN I BRING IT BACK? PLEASE HELP!:dizzy:

my previous post and images are here:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222982

www.coffeebrandy.com/pics/zoysia

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep it fertized, it will take time, I cut my Emerald Green Zoysia at 1 inch, but if you go down to the black portion of the sod it will set it back quite a bit, the only thing to do is wait for it to recover, I'm not sure if your Zoysia has the black part of the blade like the Emerald does? or you can dig it up and re sod it, that maybe your best option since it sounds like your a bit impatient.

3. mrmumbels

na, no black blade part but it has the twiggy lower section that has like a black mold on it. I cut it to that till it was just twigs sticking up. i've been watering really good and it seems to be coming back slowly. I put a 10-10-10 fert down 2 months ago and i'm wondering if I should put out a liquid fert like miriclw grow to give it a boost.

4. Buckskinner38

Buckskinner38 LawnSite Member

Its a little hard to tell from the pics but are most of the damaged roots at the base of the hill? Is the grass ok at the top of the hill? I'm wondering if your fertilizer isnt leeching due to run off.

5. mrmumbels

the parts that survived the scalping were the parts in the tiny little dip to the left. i guess cause they didn't get scalped as much and water would tend to stay there better. I noticed to the other side of my driveway i have a section on a little dip that still has a little thatch left and it's growing like crazy.

6. Buckskinner38

Don't you guys down south mow all year round? If so, do you have a dormant season like we do for warm season grasses?

I only ask because I'm a lot further north. I would think it should have recovered by now if your climate and ground temp has been consistently warm.

BTW...I'm in Wichita KS. I'm in the transitional zone

7. mrmumbels

ya we mow all year here in tampa. The zoysia doesn't grow too much in the winter though. I got 3 frosts this year but it never went dormant from what i can see. It was hard to tell since i had scalped it so most of it wasn't green. But the good stuff that stayed green pretty much stayed green all winter.

8. Buckskinner38

If I was you I would say Dave's advice would be best for your situation. Never mind what I said about the leeching. that was totally wrong on my part. It looked similar to goof ups I've done before.

How soon did you get your first frost after you scalped it?

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The lawn looks bad now because it is teetering in dormancy. Wait a few weeks before doing anything. When it starts growing a little better, fertilize. To repair any brown spots, wait until it is growing full force, then aerate. Put some mushroom compost over the bald spots... Rake up some plugs and place them in the bad areas and there you go! You'll have perfect zoysia by summer.

10. mrmumbels

Finally got my soil tests back. i guess it's good soil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]