1/2 ton and dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by willretire@40, Oct 23, 2006.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I am thinking of buying a 6x12 Bri-mar dump trailer that weighs 2650 empty. Want to add a leaf box and loader. Will it be safe to pull it with Dodge 1500 5.7 quad cab truck. I know the engine can handle but will stopping be a problem when it has about 20 yards of leaves in it. Trailer has brakes.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

dodges have some of the worst brakes out there. trust me. been there done that and totaled a brand new Infiniti G32 coupe a couple years ago with my 1500. I was only pulling my 6x10 with Z + wb too. It will pull it, it will be slow, it will brake poorly. I would really suggest brakes on both axles and a premium brake controller, not the crap you can buy at big box stores. I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. I have found that a 1500 series truck has no place in my equipment list, its just too small for hauling anything more than a couple mowers and too big for running around with no trailer doing estimates, pruning, errands, etc.

3. willretire@40

from VA

4. BSDeality

FWIW, I was on almost flat road when it happened.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

look up the specs on the truck for what it is rated for towing. I'd make sure you have electric breaks on both axles even if its not required by your state's law. I know my 97 F150 is rated for about 6-7k lbs. My Chevy 2500HD on the other hand is rated up to 10k lbs. Just keep an eye on your trany temp too when towing. Also check what the max weight for the rear axle is. I know some people that have added leafs to the back of their truck. It won't increase your axle weight capacity but it will prevent the truck from squatting as much.

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Can it be done? Yes, but it will not be safe. Trust me. This was my setup for almost two years. I dumped the trailer with the Dakota at least twice a week. The truck had plenty of power and towed well, but when it came to brakes, it was terrible. Dodge brakes truly are the worst. We put brand new brakes on the Dakota and within 2500 miles they were warped. Much happier with my F250. It is night and day. I know that most of the dump trailer are rated for at least a 3/4 ton.

1.JPG

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

it doesnt look like its hurting that dodge too bad whats in there wood chips

8. willretire@40

from VA

9. BSDeality

not by much.

10. willretire@40

from VA

Truck is rated to tow 8700 pounds. So i am thinking if i only tow 6k i should be ok. It is only through leaf season. Going to buy a 1 ton sometime in 07 when the new cummins comes out.