1/2 ton mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 3, 2007.

  1. Envy Lawn Service

    Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 11,062

    OK guys, what do you have (specs please) and what kind of mileage are you getting?
     
  2. Keith

    Keith LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,977

    Well, I don't have it now, but I had a 1995 F150 that I used for almost nine years. It was a stripped down 2wd XL regular cab SB with a 302 (205hp, 275 lb-ft) and 5-speed manual transmission. Usually hauling one ZTR on a 16' open trailer around town it would get 10mpg, 11 on a great day. With two ZTR's it fell into the 9-9.5mpg range. Without the trailer, around town it got 13.5 to 14mpg. With highway miles mixed in it was usually in the 15 range.

    The truck was under-geared. I'm not completely convinced that it would have done much better on fuel while towing with a lower ratio, but it certainly would have helped drivability.

    The truck is a bit dated and probably not relevant to your search. But I would be willing to bet that I could hook up my trailer to pretty much any current 1/2 ton truck, drive the same roads I drive every day, and the numbers would be fairly similar.
     
  3. lawnboy dan

    lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,712

    i have a 93 chevy 1500 w/305 and haul only a 5x10 with one z -i get a whopping 10mpg. never checked the mpg not towing nut i bet is not more than 13. granted this is more truck than i need for such a light trailer setup.
     
  4. rfed32

    rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro
    Posts: 680

    99 chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and i get 12mpg i tow a 7x12 open with two wb on it
     
  5. beano

    beano LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 425

    Have a 2000 silverado with the 4.8 in it towing a 7x18 enclosed with a ztr, walkbehind and some other smaller pieces and get 7mpg in town and 8.5 on freeway.
     
  6. Herrick

    Herrick LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 506

    1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9l auto. About 80% of my driving is unloaded, the other 20% is pulling a 16' open trailer. I get an overall average of 12.5mpg.
     
  7. weeble67

    weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 286

    I have a 1996 Z-71 Chevy with a 350 automatic. I do have a little bit larger
    tires (285/75) I pull an open 6"x12" trailer with racks and one Exmark ZTR on it. I average about 10-11mpg.
     
  8. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 21,653

    Lol you won't save fuel with a lighter model truck towing, my '86 D-250 w/ 318 cid 2bbl aspirated got 12-14 hitched 17 solo (3 speed auto). But my '95 D-2500 slt laramie club cab gets 10-12 mpg hitched 17-19 solo w/ 360 cid railed port injection (5 speed auto, 3 + 2 o/d). You will, however, save fuel if the truck and the trailer don't carry unnecessary weight, a light foot on the throttle helps also.
     
  9. Crusis

    Crusis LawnSite Member
    Posts: 40

    '06 Ram 1500 Mega Cab with 5.7L Hemi, gets about 12mpg on average unhitched, and with 7x14 open trailer and a full load of equipment gets about 10mpg. It gets 16mpg at 65mph on cruise with no load.

    It was in the shop yesterday for warranty work, and when I got it back today I felt like I'd just got my lost dog back. It's amazing how much you can like a truck.
     
  10. mike lane lawn care

    mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,707

    1999 GMC sierra 1500, new body style. 4.3L V6 with 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust, and high flow cats. approx 230HP and 285 ft/lbs of torque. i get on average with my 1800lb trailer 15MPG, and on the highway if i drive miserable cautious, windows up, and A/C off, i get about 19.5
     

Share This Page