1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1/2 ton or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Mar 10, 2002.

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

This year i am expanding my business, and will require a larger trailer.i have a '96 1500 chevy and it has done well in the past pulling my 5x8, but my new on is 18x8, and is wondering what to do. i have put on roadmaster 3500 helper springs, and was told that it would help, bu i am wondering how long my truck will last pulling this everyday, with two walkers and other hand help stuff, not mention the extra grass when bagging and clean ups. Just hope it will last till i can buy a 1ton.
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

you shouldnt have any problems pulling this rig on a daily basis.. the only problem i could forsee is if you didnt have electric brakes on the trailer...
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i think u will be fine if mainly only pulling two ztrs, if u had the trailer full that would be different. definitly get brakes.
  4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes trailer brakes will help. But are you exceding the recommended towing capicity?

In time you will wear the truck out prematurly. I know I've been there, done that, got the "T" shirt.
  5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i posted before about my 1/2 ton dodge. as long as you have all of the proper towing equipment you will not have a problem. i pulled a loaded 24' car trailer and never had a problem. i never added leaf springs, if the truck drops more than an 1.5" ya then i'd consider springs