1/2 ton truck pulling enclosed trl's.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nobagger, Feb 19, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was just wondering how many of you guys are pulling an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my 2- 6.5x12 open trailers and getting one enclosed trailer. I'm thinking of 7x16, nothing bigger than that because we do a lot of inner city properties and overall length would be an issue. (blocking driveways) I would have basically 2-48"w/b's ,36"w/b ,2-21"er's and all the usual stuff. I am most likely getting a 3/4 or a 1 ton in two years but for now will the 1/2 ton handle it or not (its a heavy half ton) with 3/4 springs all the way around, heavy duty E4od tranny (brand new) and in overall new condition.:waving:

2. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

It should last for a couple of years. You have the heavy duty springs and tranny I don't see a problem.

3. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

You should have no problems.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen guys pulling 24ft race trailers with half tons and they have no problems. These trailers are loaded up with a car, tools, tires, etc., alot more than you would prolly carry around

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ill be pulling one soon this season 20ft or 24ft version of a haulmark or wells cargo. Ive pulled an open trailer tons of times with my 3600lb pontiac on it total weighing 6k+. So assume even a 24ft @3400lbs, plus ztr@1000lbs plus walkbehind @400lbs trimmers, gas etc 200lbs and misc other things 200lbs is only a total of 5200lbs. I could even add another ztr mower totalling 6200lbs is about what i trailer through the mountains in PA turnpike with my car on the back. Obviously ones open VS enclosed and some more airflow restriction when going fast but i pull it with my 91 F150 5.0L v8 , auto trans that was rebuilt at 155k, and trucks got 181k now. I have a 2wd, long bed, raised fiberglass cap on back, junk in the back usually for towing and extended cab..... not a beast pulling it and i much rather get a larger truck with a deisel engine but it WILL pull it no problem.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

did it for about 6 months. Then I got my dump truck. Just remember its going to take longer to get up to speed than with your open trailer cause of all the extra drag.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i pull an enclosed all the time with a 1500 series GMC. but its a 6x12. i have never have a problem at all.
    but i would look into getting maybe a minor brake upgrade if you can.
    going fast and acceleration don't mean much if you can't stop safely.

8. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

wht truck u pulling it w...that 94 ford? wht motor?

9. Willmow4dough

Willmow4dough LawnSite Member

a friend will bail u out of jail
    a true friend will be sitting there
    saying....dude that was cool !!!

Man I love that......................

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

What does this have to do with anything? lol