1/2 Ton Trucks Durability

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by weed wacker 2, Feb 15, 2010.

1. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any success towing a mowing trailer over a period of years and not having any major issues with them. Im not talking about pulling a little 12 ft trailer either. I pull a 20 ft trailer and 3 mowers and need a larger trailer. I just don't know if a half ton will last year after year. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

2. The-Other-Side

The-Other-Side LawnSite Member

My only experience was with a dodge with the hemi engine in it. It had enough power to pull at the time our 16' which carried only about 4000lbs in equipment. It would pull some pretty high rpms on hills though. The problem I had with that truck though was the transmission and the rear end (4.10 gearing) crapped out at around 40k miles. The transmission was horrible. It never new what gear to be in and would constantly shift up and down gears.

I didn't dare put our dump trailer behind that truck at the time or any other heavy load. Since the old dodge I have had a gmc 2500 duramax with the allison transmission and have loved it. I would never go back to a 1/2 ton.

3. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

I currently have a 06 f250 but the ride isn't as smooth as a half ton. I know it would last along time but I just don;t know about the 6.0 diesel.

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

If you want a smooth ride in a hd truck, get a chevy/gmc; they have independent front suspension. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about the diesel engine giving you problems.

On the other hand, you will probably lose money if you sell your f250 now, and the 06 diesel was actually one of ford's most reliable engines that year.

5. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I had a '90 C1500 5.0L V8. Mind you, 1/2 tons aren't built to last anymore. Not to say that you won't get around 150-200K out of one, but don't expect much more towing more than 8K on a regular basis. If you swap out the rear axle cover for one that adds capacity, a larger tranny pan and a transmission oil cooler, it'll last just as good as a 3/4 ton. Depending on the trailer tongue weight, it might sag more, but helper springs can fix that for around $100 or less. besides a diesel option in 2500 series trucks, the only thing different is the frame and suspension. HD is mroe capable, and can allow for more business expansion - plowing for example.

6. overtime mp

overtime mp LawnSite Member

I have towed a 14 foot with weight on it never had a problem this year I have a 16. In a few more year I plan to get a 20 or 18 but I will be getting a 2500hd first. I wouldn't tow what you got with half ton unless its straight
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

A few years ago when I was getting my truck serviced, they gave me a loaner truck, it was a 2008 Ford F150, I assumed it had a V8 in it, but it had the 6 cyl, and it actually did pretty well towing a 16 ft tandem axle with 3 WBs on it, pulled it great and didnt have any problems with braking either, but I only used it for a few days. It probably wouldnt last real long towing day after day, and the brakes would probably need to be replaced every 6 months or so!!

If you are only towing an open trailer and only hauling WBs, a half ton is plenty.

8. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I towed a 18ft enclosed trailer with my 1500 4.8 ltr every day for about 3 years. No problems and still tow it when my 2500 is hooked up to my dump or vise versa. Love it and it rides so much nicer than my 200hd. Only compliant was it was searching for gears on the freeway between 64 and 70 mph. Any mph over or under those numbers and it was fine. All together i think i weighed in around 5500lbs. I think i have a pic

9. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Transmission.
    Brakes.