1/2 ton with dump insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JFGLN, Apr 19, 2008.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Truckcraft sells an aluminum dump insert that weighs 420 lbs. Would this work well with a 1/2 ton pick up? This set up would be used to haul grass clippings and mulch. I currently use a ford 1 ton diesel that gets 12 mpg(no dump) and I'am looking for better mpg at a reasonable cost. Diesel here is $4.34 a gallon.

Here's a link to the insert,

http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=2&cID

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It would probably work OK. You could haul around 1,000 lbs. or so in the bed without overloading the rear axle. I doubt your city mileage would be that much better than 12, although gas is cheaper. If you put an insert in your F350 than you could carry 3,000 lbs. Personally I think the extra fuel cost of a HD pickup is well worth it for the extra weight capacity.

3. SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE

SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Read your owners manual & see what the payload of your truck is!!!!! This will determine how much you can safely carry with your truck. I did the research. I would have had to sell my F150 & purchase an F250 to effectively add a dump insert and still have a reasonable payload of 2000 pounds. :walking:

4. JFGLN

I wonder how much a load of wet grass weighs.

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

$4800.;). I priced a ez dumper few weeks ago for $2300/cab guard. I know a few guys that have them, and no problems w/them yet. Keep the diesel, and get a dump for half the $$

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

downeaster stainless steel insert. power up/power down, cab guard, etc. Costs upwards of $6,000 but one of the best investments yet. I have friends that have ezdump and truckcrafts and they all tell me they wish they had mine because of the durability and simplicity.

7. terribentti

terribentti LawnSite Member

check out the dump-pro.com website. they might be less expensive for your F-150.

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

for a half ton i would go with a loadhandler. you could alwas build boxes to keep the mulch from getting stuck behid the wheel wells.

9. JFGLN

I bought an 08 Chev 1 ton. It has an extended cab and a 9' dump bed. The cost of this set up was similar to the cost of a 3/4 ton with dump insert.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would not put a dump insert in a 1/2 ton. I'm not sure it would een be worth it in a 3/4 ton. I was going to get that tc-120 truckcaft for my 06 f250 but when it all came down to the nitty gritty, I can haul more on my 16' trailer than I could in the insert. Plus that insert is nice but its quite pricey!