1/4 drip line on cement patio

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I need to install drip line to several pots around a stamped concrete patio with no access underneath.

This is a contemporary house that's roughly 75% all window's so the drip needs to be flawless.

Typically we install 1/2 conduit strapped in with molly anchors , then running drip packs to the pots. Making it hidden as possible or what ever the situation may be of course the goal is to make it as clean as possible. Anyways 1/2" is out of the question

I'll be installing my main piping around this 25' x 80 ' patio and installing drip to each pot. There's a multi tiered water feature in the middle of this so I was able to sneak several drip lines under the rocks to gain access to the middle of the patio. Which helps from running drip from the outside of the patio to the middle. There are no arbors that I can run up and over

Basically, do you guys have any well known products for keeping 1/4 drip straight?

So far my idea's are 1/4" wire strap and molly anchor every few feet, Small sections of double sided sticky tape and also small dabs of super glue. I'm not sure how weather effects the last 2

Suggestions, ideas?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How many emitters are you planning to feed from a single tube? Best practice is one emitter tube for one dripper.

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydraulic cement sticks well to masonry (get it wet first) and pops off cleanly if you need to remove it. I use it as glue to stick copper anchors on brick walls for plant support.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Can you core drill under the pots Mitch?

That would be the cleanest way i can think of.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Jim, and will note this. Whatever you do Mitch, keep in mind these pots are not necessarily a permanent feature, so however you decide to run your line you should try to avoid anything that is permanent (i.e. molly anchors may not be the best option here).

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Chief and for the record view sites such as these, products of piss poor planning and preparation.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. If there is any potential for patio pots, then a sleeve should be run to a 6" round.

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

6" spacing 0.5gph 1/4" drip line does wonders for using 1/4 drip tubing and multi pots.

There's no way to drill under the pots as there is no access under the cement.

Windflower do you have a link to a product for hydraulic cement?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

hydraulic cement is a mix-it-yourself powder - you can always find it if you ask for it by name - it has the property of expanding as it sets, so it is a great choice for a pipe set in a masonry wall below grade

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Might not be the best for this application but I have used dumdum to stick 1/4 drip under the tread overhang on stone steps and in other precarious locations where nails and screws won't work.