1/4 to 1/3 acre lots...best walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Dec 19, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i currently am looking to buy another mower and have my dad help me out next year. if it works out i would have him doing only my residential homes.

they average in lot size about 1/4 to 1/3 acre. some have some desent size banks on them.

what do you think would be a good **size** walk behind mower. i would like to stay with either toro or exmark.

i should mention that i do quite a few "new sod lawns" and they also get quite spongy at times because they hire cheap lanscapers.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i have a toro 44 proline with "t bar" really like it. works real good and t bar gives you a variable speed control

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

SIZE?

48" to 54" or 60"... just depends on what your majority clearance size needs to be.
    You can use a 60" walk on lawns this size if the mower will fit.
    If not, keep stepping down until you hit the size that works.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Have you looked into a Stander, possibly?

5. grass disaster

no dealers around here. that mower wouldn't make much scense on the lawns with new sod.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How soon do your guys mow newly laid sod? We usually wait 2-3 weeks minimum here. The Standers and Z never hurt with careful use after 2-3 weeks. If they are small,or too long to wait, we'll use 21's on the first cut. If you are wanting to stay w/ WB's, I'd look at the new Exmarks or Everride's Wasp looks like a good belt drive model for a decent price.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Clark hit it on the head. Either the 44" or 36" Proline Toro (depending on gate sizes) will give you good groundspeed and swath, and they're so much more cost-effective than the hydros. Plus, if you find a used 52" deck, either power head will run it. We have several Toro prolines, from 32" to 52" and never lack for parts.

8. grass disaster

i don't have any lawns currently with fences.

are thease prolines gear drive?

i currently have a 48" tthp i think it might be a little too complicated to drive for my dad.

i want something that will give an awesome cut!! i would like to stay away from the stamp decks

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

52" Scag Hydro (Fixed Deck) with a double wheeled sulky. You can Cut almost as much grass as a 52" Ztr, just the cut might not be as good.

10. grass disaster

sorry i don't like scag. i have a lame excuse, i don't like the color.

oh and no dealers around here.