1.5hrs on 61" WIDE ZTR for one lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I know someone had a list on here, about how many acres each mower could technically cut per hour. I remember seeing #s of wide open 4acres, 6acres, 7acres for 72" decks.

I started a lawn today for the season, i thought i bid low and then the customer stated i bid exactly what theyre current company charged last year. So i offered it for $115. The lawn has a 1/2 mile driveway and i cut 4-5 paths on one side and 2 on the other. Im using my Ferris 27hp kohler engine/61" deck and running 95-100% full throttle. I only had to go slower around some big bumps and a couple large trees, basically the country property is all open.

If i had this thing cooking for 1hr 30minutes almost on the dot until i parked it back on the trailer, how much acerage is that? Im guessing its about 2.5-3acres but it could be closer to 4+.. I wouldnt negate my contract with this customer for this year but for $115 it took me 1.5hrs just of pure mowing and then theres trimming around a house thats 135' long and 50' deep with 3 decks and a fully fenced in pool area AND trimming IN the pool area because theres about 300sq ft of grass INSIDE the pool area i do by trimmer.

The house is only a year old, and theres some ROUGH bumps, i mean im struggling to hold on to the machine at half speed 5~ mph. Im hoping maybe theyll have me take care of the ruts, dead grass areas and a dead tree and reseeding in the front.

NONE of the grass was so tall i had to slow down, i could basically mow right through 3-4" of heavier grass in some spots too. Why isnt this lawn worth more? Possibly the customer is just fully BSing me over my $125 quote and settling for $115.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

ok jerkey boy--let's do some math.

I'll keep this simple and quick...

1/2 mile times 7 passes with a 61" mower assuming a 4" overlap) is 87,780 sq ft.

so with 43,560 sqft/acre, the drive alone is 2.0 acres.

dude--I'd consider a renegotiation.

GEO :waving:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well now I do two acres for 100 with my 48" Wb, but to figure out the acreage of the land, why not use zillow as a guideline (keep in mind, zillow does not tell you LAWN acreage, just LOT acreage so subtract the house's sq. footage and take other factors into consideration (meaning if it comes out to 8 acres, they may have wooded land beyond the turf, stuff like that).
    Anyway, it's http://www.zillow.com/

And if it is 2 acres, 115 is a good price in my book.
    I bid one at 85 and we agreed it was 1.5 acres thou Zillow lists it at 1.85...? Once I subtract the house, the shed (a big one), and another 1000 sq. feet or so for the driveway, I'm close to 1.6 and for 85 dollars I get'r done in 1.5 hours (all done) so I'm not pushing the issue.

You just gotta learn how to ride the lawn, so to speak... But I know what you mean, all you can think is flat out and BAM-BAM-BAM it about knocks your teeth loose, very annoying. Angle is key, on smaller yards I rarely ride flat out and it's because after I ride one lot a few times, I'm used to the contours and have learned the proper path of least resistance - I suspect this is the case on large lots as well, but it sure is hard to visualize from the rider's perspective.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

thanks topsites, ill look into this.. no its no where near 2acres as i can see now. christ, ill about **** a brick if this place is like 6 acres and my dumbass is out jollying around running the 27hp motor through over half of one tank or like 3~ gallons of fuel.

geogunn, thanks for the estimation, it took about 20~ minutes to complete the driveway area on both sides, so thats i guess an acre per 10 minutes or 6 per hour wide open is about what Ferris has on www.ferrisindustries.com for acerage per hour with a 61" deck. If i had TWO mowers at one time id STILL take easily 45 minutes for both. If i can get a better estimation on this ill talk to them, possibly theyre old lawn company, if they had one, lowballed it beyond belief.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

ALWAYS know the volume of what you are quoting a price for and consider it when quoting.

I use total lot size and I do not subtract for anything inside the parimeter of the lawn.
    WHY? Because it takes longer to mow an acre with a house/building sitting on it, PERIOD.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Have any of you "asked" a customer their lot/lawn size or acerage? I asked this one customer but she said she had no idea. I know some people really have no clue, its hard for me to even estimate its size, NOTHING is around it and the house makes the lawn look small because the house is a friggin mansion :/

7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

We're thinking it sounds more in 4-8 acres than 2, with your fuel usage.

Teleconference with them or leave them a message regarding an important "Company Policy Change", and always blame it on someone else: "that nasty company accountant just looked at time spent and fuel usage on this job, and has unfortunately added an additional $_________ for your lawn, per cut. This takes effect ______________."

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I could use several that size for about $115 each, that would be serious bank for this area.