1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1.7 acres to mow, advice?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by BarnOwl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I am going to trade in my old Shibaura diesel for a new mower and the decision is between two zth's: The Toro Z 100 or the Simplicity Consumer Z.

I am a residential owner of 1.7 acres flat country with 25% orchard and 25% flowerbeds with grass paths of 5 feet wide to mow once a week at least.

According to the dealers I invited here this would be done in 1 hour with the above machines.

Now, the Toro is the more expensive machine here but looks really sturdy. It outweighs the Simplicity with 200 pounds but has a smaller engine versus a bigger deck. (Kawasaki V twin 17hp versus B&S Vanguard 20HP on the Simpl.)

Any comment would be highly appreciated.................
  2. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

I am thinking goats and lot of them. first you never have to buy gas. secondly you in your orchard you never have worry about picking up wind fall fruit because they will already ate them. Plus when they multply you can sell, butcher, or milk them. just kidding about the goats. seriously i get a john deere
    LX 280 all wheel steer. The great thing about have a all wheel steer tractor you do more thing with it. Plus almost as tight as a zero turn. But that what i would do if i had 1.7 acres to mower. :cool:
  3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think 430 boy is on to something with the John Deere LX 280. Anything with JD greene paint is a good choice. I don't know what your budget is but maybe look into the JD 737 ZTR with 54" deck. This unit will last you as long as you need it to with only 1.7 acres. If you elect to go with 1 of the 2 you mentioned I would go with the Toro. In my opinion the Kaw. engine is much better than the Briggs.
  4. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,

Actually ZT mowers are just being introduced in bigger numbers here in Holland...... I will have a look at the John Deere ZTH, if I can find a dealer close to me. :rolleyes:

Friday I am going to look at an almost new (76 hrs) ZMaster 100, this guy made me a good trade in offer for my old mower which means I will pay not even half of the price a new Toro Z100 will cost here (€ 10.000)

Now, if this machine is as good as it looks on the photo, I think we'll have a deal!

As far as the goats are concerned: Wind is shifting a lot here in the low country. I'll be having a hell of a time herding my goats off wind all the time to get the house out of their smell. So mowing 1 hour per week is not so bad after all......... :drinkup:
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think the Toro would be a good choice. Its a well built commercial machine and i've heard good things about the Turbo Force decks. Get the toro and i'm sure you'll be happy with it. Hope that helps.
  6. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I made the final deal today, got the Toro.
    Thanks for the feedback.........
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Congratulations on the new Toro. I'm sure you'll like it.