1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1.7 million sq feet

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by steveair, Sep 16, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I've FINALLY finished my move this week, and through the wonders of modern technology, have a phone line again (its amazing how 'backwoodsy' the western parts of NJ can be) so I can get back into the swing of things here at lawnsite.

During this 'darkened' and 'deprived' time between apartments, I was starved for information and turned to that dreaded media of magazines to keep my mind from running amuck.

It just so happens, that the new PO box I now have at the post office was once a landscaper (hopefully not a omen of things to come) and in I find to my surprise all sorts of neat magazines.

Besides the letters from the IRS addressed to "XYZ landscaping", I have taking the privilidge of keeping some of this mail for myself.

The other day, I got a issue of Interlocking Concrete pavement magazine, which I assume is associated with the ICPI.

I was amazed reading about the 1.7 million sq foot job they did out in oakland. I can't imagine a job that massive, as I still am all 'gleamy' eyed when I get 1000sq foot patios.

Some things about the installation I found to be of interest. During work, they had to 'average' the widths of pavers and figure this into there work as they laid the pattern. They say, that as the molds that make the pavers wear, they get increasing dimensions in the pavers. I never thought of this before.

I wonder if this could have any effect on smaller jobs too. I swear I've had jobs where, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the pattern to be dead on straight. I really wonder how often some of these companies change there molds and wonder if it is possible to get a dramatic difference in paver sized between a pallet that was sitting in the yard for a while and one that was freshly made?

Also, its amazing how the base was spec'd out. They actually laid 3 inches of asphault on top of their base and then screeded the bedding course on top of that. Seemed very unusually, but made sense from an engineering and environmental standpoint.

Another thing, is the fact that they made a point of having no cut pavers small than a half of paver. This is a point I have heard quite often these days, but wonder if it is really feasible. I know on a large job such as that, it would be easily overlooked in the pattern, but on smaller jobs, I just can't see making all my cuts to be half or better and not mess up my pattern. I like the idea of having no small pieces, but it seems hard to do sometimes. Anyone else out there following this practice?

Anyways, it was a great article. Imagine that, learning something new and it wasn't at lawnsite. Forgive me. Next time I move, I'm getting a cell phone modem to pass the time. This was horrible.

2. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

That magazine also had an article discussing the use of pavers at airports - as I recall it was Hong Kong. If I can find it I'll send it to you. Wouldn't MMU look great with a paver ramp or two?
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I had heard about the minimum cut size for brick, but the wearing of the molds is interesting. I hadn't heard anything like that, either.

I wonder what 1.7 million sqft goes for these days?
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It goes for about 2.35 a sq ft that includes the brick and the sand!
  5. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

good day,
    The production manager at Unilock once told me after 1.5 mm of wear on the mold they are scrap metal. I have never had a big problem with variances in that direction, although sometimes I do notice variances with some of the multi-sized patterns. I find the thickness variance more frustrating, not so much in the pavers but in the wall products. As far as nothing less than half of a brick for cuts, I think that now that everybody is putting a soldier around the perimiter this has become much less of an issue, I usually have several very small pieces on every job.
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Thats exactly what I would have said, give or take a cent/sf of course - LOL!!!

Amazing how some of you guys can actually put something of that magnitude together and have it all come out superb in the end.

Something to be proud of no doubt, the ability to take on and conquer a site of those magnitudes. I suppose its not so scary if you can break it all down into sectors so that its just a bunch of little projects so to speak that compile the monstrosity. ;)