1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1/8" height adjustment range

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.L.C., Sep 29, 2007.

1. T.L.C.

T.L.C. LawnSite Member

Just received a new device called the "Precision Pin", allowing fine tuned adjustments of 1/8" & 1/16" inch increments. The adjustment pin has been
    altered by machined cuts. I use the 1/8" setting everyday! Easy to use, makes the perfect cut everytime! Anybody else seen them? Got mine from a friend that bought several. cost was about $10. They're brand new, suppose to be on the market everywhere.
  2. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

How does 1/8" or 1/16" of an inch have anything to do with quality of cut?
  3. T.L.C.

T.L.C. LawnSite Member

The same way 1/2" or 1/4" has to do with the quality of cut....I see the need in having the ability of a 1/8" adjustment range ...I use it everyday, I see the difference. Is it a major difference, No....It's a fine tuned adjustment.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny but it does make a difference, I have to cut 1/8" higher with my 60" Z so it looks the same as my 48" Wb.
    But me I am cheap, so I go to Home Depot and pick up some 1/8" washers slip them on the blade bolt between spindle and blade.
    Then set the height 1/4" higher and voila.

Hey if it makes you feel any better, how do you think I felt when I realized I could use Home Depot steel washers and 3/8" wing nuts to replace those stupid $3 each plastic deck knobs? I think it's 3/8", whatever, they have the right size.

Shoot, we're talking maybe 4-8 or 10-15 cents each, washers, wing nuts, clips and pins and nuts and bolts, you name it, springs too.

Home Depot, it's not just for homeowners anymore :laugh:
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Can you explain this "Precision Pin" a bit more?

What mower is it for?

Any pictures?
  6. T.L.C.

T.L.C. LawnSite Member

It is simply the adjustment pin that is used in Exmark, Toro's, Ferris, etc. & it has "machined cuts" of 1/8" & 1/16". I use the 1/8" groove primarily. Using the 1/8" groove or cut you now have an adjustment range in 1/8"..For example; 3" - 3 1/8" - 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" - 3 5/8" - 3 3/4". With the normal pin, you would only have the 1/4" adjustment range. I've had customers ask me to "cut it a notch lower", I can do it with out scalping the lawn now. I can tell when I need to go just a little bit higher or lower as I'm sure you all do, It's nice to be able to do it easily. I don't need it all of the time, sometimes the regular settings are perfect, sometimes their not, it"s nice to have the ability to fine tune the cutting height.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see if it would work on a Super Z but I kinda doubt it. There have been times I would liked to have an in between.
  8. Juan_Deere

I'm just not buying it. Quality of cut is determined by sharp blades in good shape, parts not bent, worn or broken, and judgement. If you have a mower that only cuts in 1/2inch increments, and you know 1 1/2 inches is going to scalp. You cut at 2 inches.

With that being said. You can accomplish the same thing this pin does, by grinding on the pin that is already on your mower. Grind 1/16" off one side, 1/8" off another side, and and 1/4" of another, leaving the full roundness on one side for the original adjustment size.
  9. Juan_Deere

You can also use the built in adjustment features on your decks to get the same height between the two.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot we can turn our pins around on the Super Z and get that minor adjustment.

Our stop plate is 3/16" thick, turn the pin around and you drop the cutting height by that much.