1-800 number ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I am just starting my biz and am considering getting a 1-800 number. I think it would be more professional looking on my flyers and in the yellow pages, even though most of my customers would be calling locally. Do any of you have 1-800 numbers and what do you think about them? I have heard that they are pretty reasonable with no installation fees. :p
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just more numbers for someone to have to punch. I can't understand why you would want this, unless you are trying to target outside your area and even then, who outside your area will see this number? My opinion, not cost effective.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here we have been punching 10 numbers for years.

An 800 number might be good if you are near State borders or neighboring area codes.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

800's are for banks, insurance n credit card's ...... 3 of my favorite people .... spend some $ on logo's n uniforms for a good image
  5. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Not worth it. We had one years ago and the cost was way too much. First you have to have a regular local # to forward the 800 # to. Then you are responsible for all the toll charges to the number. We found that it was cheaper to have a local # in an outside area and have it forwarded to our main #. I think the cost for this is $5.00 per month. Check with your local phone Co and see what they can do for you. When you talk to thier business office they are usually pretty god at getting a local# that would be east to remember. We got to choose our #'s. try ti stck to easy ones like #'s that end in 100's or be creative and try a # like 555-lawn if you make it easy for customers to remember they will be happy.