$1 a minute....out of date formula??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Dec 21, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I;ve only been here on LS a couple years so I dont know how long this formula has been used as a guidleline.

So 5 years from now, do we still use it as a benchmark?? When do we decide its no longer the right number??

Just curious how long the formula has been around.

Given the fact the mowing prices have stayed fairly flat for 10 years or more, maybe it will be the guideline for years to come...sure hope not however

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm trying to "clear" that figure per hour, including my driving time. I used to just charge that per hour and eat the driving time. However, it really depends on the area. The average home here is about $400,000 on a 1/2 arce.
    Pete

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

When I try to figure the time it will take to get the job done I use that formula, however I rarely ever have it happen. I guess I still have a lot of work to do with estimating. And that might explain why I only land about 20% of the jobs I bid. I try to make sure I get started on the right foot rather than lose before I even get started.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think if nothing else, the dollar a minute benchmark is still a good rule of thumb.

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

We are talking a 1 guy mowing crew right?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, $1 per minute per person.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yes...As mentioned above, we look more at the entire elapsed work time of a given day...from the time we walk out the door until we quit for that day.

$1 or even $2 per minute is of little value if in a 10 hour day you are only billing, for examploe, 300 man-minutes...imho, its the per minute formula PLUS your actual billable time...and the billable time goes directly to how efficienct you work and how your route is set up.

8. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i shoot *or $1.50* minute per person, nothing is getting che*per *or c*sh *low, i .e. insur*nce

9. mowandgo

mowandgo LawnSite Member

Now this is REALLY interesting to hear! LOL We charge $60/hr (so the $1 per minute is accurate) but there are TWO of us. If we charged $120/hour, we'd be out of business flat........ We just started this past summer and did relatively well. Waiting to hear on 2 huge contracts for Meijer's in the area. That would set us up really well. Estimating is really hard to do, as we're learning!!

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah $60 per man hr is a pretty good rule of thumb. Don't think it's quite benchmark, but it should be a minimum. :cool: