1 account, 86 properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scottscape, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

1 account, 86 properties. Its rainy season and they need to be mowed every 7-10 days at the most. My agreement with owner is weekly mowing we had a mutual agreement last week to mow every 10 days from on out april and may then drought season every 2 weeks, everyones happy. I hear from property manager today that payment is ready and that he doesnt want us to mow right now because grass isnt growing (weve been getting good rains every few days if not every other day I dont know what this guys thinking) in the meantime while he calls were in the process of mowing the properties. He says "we were gonna have you mow 7 days after tomorrow" which would be the 17th day from invoice. not happenin. I explain to him the first time we mowed they called us a few weeks into the season and most of the lawns were 1ft 1 1/2 ft tall ( I didnt charge extra) and to get these in order and maintain them in april and may we have to mow every 10 days at the most. He says "well some other landscape companys have approached the owner on offering some service" I said thats fine. and he says "well figure something out". While we were out mowing today we seen a lady come by lookin at some of the properties. I am just hoping that we dont get lowballed. 42 are done today and 42 tomorrow and I will invoice property manager monday. I would just like to hear some of you guys input on this one

2. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

I would say you did the right thing, if it was already agreed upon and if you have a contract you shouldn't have to worry, but someone out there will always do it for less unfortunately. If the guy says to wait and you have to mow grass thats a foot high charge him double. Its like the people who only want it cut every two weeks even though it could use it every 5 days, nothing you can do, but don't get stuck doing twice the work for the same price.

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Man I am going to every 4-7 days starting next week. Your lawn gets cut on Monday it will be cut again on Friday. Saturday being a catch up day if it rains If not possibly the yards that were Cut on Tuesday might be cut on Saturday. If the grass growing on your part of town like over here in U.A and the Grandview area then they are getting out of control. I would have a serious talk about this to this guy.

This is all dependent on how I feel to. The Flu/cold bug hit me hard Monday night and now I am taking some meds.

JP

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

grass is getting cut every 4 to 5 days.... and that is still double cutting, its growing too fast... best to find out now rather then later.. that they have unrealistic expectations.....

5. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well I now to come find out have been low balled. Its not the first time but this being a large account it makes matters worse. I tried speaking with the owner today and all he could say is I would have to talk to the property manager. well I pick a payment up today and the property hands me a written 7 day termination of contract agreement. He then says "its no hard feelings just another company came in off the street and gave us an unbelievable price that we couldnt pass up if we need anything else we can use you, we will give you a call" I said no problem I guess we cant make everyone happy (me being professional and polite). I finished mowing the account today (takes us 2 days to mow) and will be picking up another payment after invoice. It just sucks being that this was my biggest account. I saw the other company today looking at the properties (2 men in a pick up with a name on the side of there truck that isnt even filed as a fictitious name) I highly doubt they have insurance or pay taxes.

6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Your profile says you been in the biz a couple years, so we suspect you are not employees of the owner and using owners equipment ?!?
    .....so it's flip'n time for your outfit to quit acting like employees!

Next Time, you get some POSTURE and BACKBONE and tell that owner S.O.B. who had you cheap-o'd down from weekly to 10 days thru his ppty-mgr, that it will violate HIS insurance policies and get HIM in big trouble with the Feds for not withholding your Social Security, and it will get him in big trouble with the State for zero payroll witholding tax, and Workers Comp(if your crew has injury on premises) - IF HE'S the flipper calling the Shots on YOUR outfit's flippin schedule ! Period . Paragraph.

The Liability is clear:
    THEIR SCHEDULE - THEIR WITHHOLDING & THEIR INSURANCE ON YOU.
    YOUR SCHEDULE - YOUR OWN WITHHOLDING & INSURANCE ON YOU.

It never happens right away, but a ppt-mgmt firm here just had to pay $6,000+
    for zero State payroll tax '03-05, for doing what's been about to be done to you.

So sorry for your loss and you not having a written agreement with teeth in it featuring a "contract damage forfeiture" clause in it so you could sue him for specific performance. 2/3 of "Property Managers" are scum commissioned by owners to gyp all contractors who have shallow agreements with them.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Scottscape, you are better off without it for two reasons. First, this account was only going to be a headache for you. Second, you are sure to have learned a few things from this mess. So you lost a headache and gained some experience. I'd say you came out on top.