1 acre with 22"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 24ON48OFF, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How long do you guys think it will take him to cut it? 22"? what brand is that and how fast does it go?

If you do get, I suggest you lube up real good. If not you might have trouble walking the next day :)

2. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

Im only 25 I dont think my body would have a hard time keeping up

3. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

MMLawn is right! This job is a no-go for you. You need to target small residential.

4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

You can say that now while you sit at the computer in the A/C. But beleive me when i say it is not gonna last. You will hate that account. You need to focus on postage size lots, until you get the right equipment. If there are no small lots in your town, then I will pray for you.

5. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

24ON48OFF,
    Target some of those sub-divisions south of Ft. Worth where they put $140,000 homes on 6,500 sq. foot lots and the people who own them work 14 hours a day in the city. On Saturday morning, they don't want to contemplate cutting a blade of grass. :cool:

6. dexpress

dexpress LawnSite Member

It will take a lot less time than you think. A side benefit will be that it will teach you how to be quicker on your other jobs. Go for it and enjoy the cash.

7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a push mower or self prepelled?

8. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

It is self propelled, I am targeting the small lots. My other accounts are great for what I have. They have fenced in back yards and the gate is only wide enough to get my 22 through to the back. I appreciate all the advise. I talked to the guy on the phone and think I will just explain my situation. If I cant do it maybe I can put someone else on it.

9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

dude don't listen to everyone on here. cut what you want with what. I cut 2 acres last year with a 21" for $75 it only took about 4 hours. Most people around here sound lazy to me.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

That is $18 per hour before expenses. If you are paying taxes, insurance, putting money back for equipment replacement, have professional fee's (accounting, legal), Marketing expenses etc, etc, etc. Then what is the point. It would be much easier to punch a clock somewhere. I hope you are collecting money on the spot from all your customers because non payment would bring your profit (total business profit) way down. If one customer doesn't pay their monthly invoice it will bring 5 other jobs like that down below minimum wage.

Like others have said. Stick to the small lots where you can make a profit. No sense giving the work away.

Edit: I just realized I wasted my time responding to a new guy (1 year in business) giving advice. I have to start checking them profiles more often.