1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

1 acre with 22"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 24ON48OFF, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The point is I did put money back for new equipment, professional fees, marketing expenses, new equipment, and I HAVE INSURANCE. I knew I was going to want accounts like this when I got a bigger mower, I have the bigger mower now and one more account that I don't have to look for. As far as the new guy comment is concerned, yeah I haven't been in business for myself that long, and I'm still learning about how to run this thing legit. Don't question my ability with out knowing who I am, I've been doing this since I was a little kid and have over five years in turf grass management at a local golf course. I've been only been doing landscaping professionally for about 2 years though.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This statement if true simply makes you sound like a fool.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

It's a good freind of mine's yard. If that helps. Didn't mean to sound like a fool, I just wanted to support the original poster in his endeavors. If he can bid the job at a good price and he has plans to get a bigger mower, maybe he should get the account now while he can. Worst case, he dosen't get as much money as he wants per hour and he learns a lesson about what he can and can't do.

4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Now your sounding a bit more intelligent.
    This board is chock full of people that have a bit of insight into reality, listening is sometimes better than speaking.
    Yes, anybody can buy a 21" mower at home depot, question is what will they do with it then?
    There in lies reality.

Just some thoughts............................

5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

2 of those a day and thats $120. Should be able to buy a rider ain a few weeks ?

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Actually the quote this is referring to was concerning a $75 cut..............
    That would be $150 for 2 cuts.

Let's see,$150 minus costs and taxes gets you to somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for 8 hours work.
    $12.50/ hr.

That is of course if your doing it legally..........................You are right?

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

My grandma has a 1 acre lot and a 21" mower. I go over there to help her out on her lawn. I have never timed it but it takes around 2 hours. You gotta do what you gotta do to help family out. :)

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Tell granny you need $500 and you will go find a used rider to keep at her house.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you will absolutly hate that account when it's the middle of summer that $60 will start to look like a very unfair exchange.

did the guy that owns the property cut it himself? if he did, he probably has a rider on his property. you might be able to use it until you get a larger mower.

or, you could try cutting with TWO 21" mowers at the same time. there was a guy who used to be here that did this. I think that the guys user name was twotoros. it's really amazing to see how it works. here's a link to the thread that shows how it's done. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=18706 this guy is really masterfull. if you are using light home owner 21"s it should be easier that using a proline.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I don't mind the walking. It is a good work out.