1'' Ants that jump.....and oh yeh they pack a punch.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Sep 6, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was walking out the door and the Mrs says "Listen hon I want you to be real careful out there today, I just got this felling"

So I get to this land-clearing job and start hacking into the lantana with my clearing saw and I hit this nest of these bloody jumping ants and they just spray all over me head to toe. And man do these little frickers pack a punch. You think a bee or wasp sting is bad, mateys you aint been stung till ya been stung by one of these. So I burn the frickers:blob2: Ha Ha and go and do another lawn while I wait for them to disperse.
    Get stuck back into it and this pi#sed brown snake comes hurtling out of the scrub at me, and just get to him with the clearing saw before he had a go at my ankle....Ha Ha. (Scary Sh*t)
    So yeh I chopped him down to size a little but it starts getting a little hows it goin down under this time of year. (gotta be on the ball)
    Just shearing my day with yous and putting the "Yellow Jacket " story's in perspective.:D

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

ahhh, life little adventures;)

3. lightninglawncare

lightninglawncare LawnSite Member

:eek:

4. Sheesh man. No wonder you've got such bad@$$ ants roaming around when they have to cohabitate with Brown Snakes. Imagine if you’d been swatting those ants when that snake made its move? Who knows, maybe they saved you. LOL

We Americans think we’ve got some bad critters, but they’re peaches and cream compared to those in Kangaland. When I was a pup, I worked Pipeline construction and came across large Rattlesnakes often. The fat ones commanded my full attention, but they were pretty much defensive. NOTHING like the full out in your face attack of a Brown and no where near the punch. So what are your plans if you did get hit?

5. pinnacle,

Since most of the people who read these posts have never heard of a Brown Snake, you might want to elaborate because that "name" sounds kind of harmless over here. Tiapan sounds much more exotic and dangerous.

6. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Did you guys get all of that ?:confused:

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I did:D those browns are nothing to mess with I would have chopped him up to :eek: now for jumping ants I would like to see that.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

pinnacle wrote;

Just shearing my day with yous and putting the "Yellow Jacket " story's in perspective.

While i've never had the fun of playing with your spitting ants i can assure you will know it of you disturb yellow jackets. They come out in in force and unlike your jumping ants they fly and will chase you until they get you.

A few years back a guy locally was cutting his lawn on a riding tractor and all of a sudden the tractor fell into the ground. He had ridden across a huge yellow jacket nest and they very nearly killed him. The fire fighters had to use a fire hose to blow the yellow jackets off of him so they could rescue him.

We also have the Africanized Honey Bee here there is more often than not fatal in their attacks. You only need to get near a colony to trigger an attack. And it's not just 10, 20 or 50. It's literally the entire hive. And they are very irritated by outdoor power equipment.

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

its the squirrels around here ya gotta watch out for.

webx3.jpg

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

crikee mate sounds like u got the nasties a lot worse than us yanks i hate snakes and this year has been bad the bees have been real bad to a wet year for us