1 arce priceing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

What should i charge?
    for:1\2 acre lots
    1 acre lots
    1 1\2 acre lots

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Flat or hilly terrain?

What size mowers do you have?

Solo or do you have help?

How far from your shop or your home?

Are you paid by the cut or contract?

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No fencing- half acre $35
    No fencing- 1 acre $45
    Another $10-15 for 1 1/2 acre
  4. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

1/2 Acre - $35
    1 Acre - $50
    1 1/2 Acre - $75

That is for cut, trim, blow. Anything extra is, of course, extra.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

6. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

When I price a yard I price it on the time I beleive it will take for one operator to finish the yard. I base them off $60 per man hr with a $35 min. If you price solely on the size of a piece of property then you'll get bit in the behind sooner or later. I have 1 acre yards the take me twice as long as some 2 acre lawns depending upon the mowers that can be used on the lawn, opsicals in the way, amount of trimmming, ect. Figure out what you need to make a man hour to make it then go by that. You might have a rough time at first be with time comes experience.
  7. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Listen to what Hoffman said , He's dead on
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

You need to price according to your market. Pricing varies greatly from area to area, even within a few miles. Pricing in "the woods" by me is higher because it's impossible to put a tight route together and many LCOs don't service those areas...so I can get a little more $ for those lawns. Whereas the beach area is saturated with LCOs and the pricing is low.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Quote from hoffmanlandscaping-

"When I price a yard I price it on the time I beleive it will take for one operator to finish the yard. I base them off $60 per man hr with a $35 min."

I do not want to offend anybody, but how in the world can you say it has to pay $60 per man hr. - What if the man is running a 21" lawn-boy as compared to the man running a 72" 35HP ZTR?

I must be the stupidest person in the world, because I keep thinking the property is worth X # of dollars to mow, and it is up to the LCO to decide if he wants to do it with a 21" pusher, or a 60" ZTR, or maybe even 5 ZTR's -

In every case, the amount paid to the LCO is what that property is worth, The guy with the 21" pusher may take all day, but almost no overhead

The guy with 5 ZTR's may take 15 minutes, but lots of overhead

I bet the per hr. profit for the two case scenerios is almost the same.

I guess I just do not understand how statements can be made that we charge $60 per man hr. when the type of equipment and its efficiency and per hr mowing capability is never discussed.

If I am way off base here please tell me so and try to explain it to me.

Thanks, Brad
  10. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

Flex Deck,
    I understand what you are saying but look at it this way too.
    The guy mowing a 2 acre track with a 21" may take him 4 hours and get paid $100 dollar for that. But the guys mowing with 5 Ztrs may get it down in 20 min. but there pay is based on the time it takes for one guy to do this say $75 if they are able to complete 2 of these per hr thats $150/hr multiply by the 4 hours the guy using the 21" took to mow the first lawn your looking at $600. If you compare the number of yards these guys are able to do in a week at these number 5 days a week 8hrs a day the guy with the 21" mower is bringing in $1000 not bad days work but alot of walking. The guy with the 5 ZTR is bringing in $6000.
    Then again who in their right mine would have 5 72" ZTR's on a two acre tracks seem to me that that guy should be running at least three crews which would in turn increase his profits even though he has a higher overhead. what it boils down to is LOW Overhead-High Profit-Low Volume runs about equal to High Overhead-Low Profit-High Volume (Mass Producing).

That is how I look at it but then again everybody is differnet you cant be driving around in a $60,000 dollar rig just mowing 3-4 $35 dollar lawns a day and bring in a profit but you could if you have a $2,000 dollar rig.