1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

#1 Commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekseger, Mar 3, 2005.

1. derekseger

derekseger LawnSite Member

I need a few peoples advise on how I should go about bidding this commercial property. It is about 60+ acres of mowing. There are over 300 trees and well over a thousand power boxes that need to be trimmed around. I'm not sure if I should bid this hourly by the acre or what? Please give me some advise.Thanks
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

What company in the world that owns that large a piece of commercial property would even think about letting a 17 year old cut it?
  3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Does this classify as a rude post? I think it does!
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Whatever you think, but the question was legit. His profile says 17. I checked it because I wanted to see his experience because if he doesn't know how to bid it I was going to suggest that he might be in over his head because that is a big project and he may not be ready for it, but when I check the 17 jumps out because a 17 year old can't even get commercial ins so this company either doesn't care or doesn't know and that would also speak volumes.....so I don't care what you thought of it.
  5. derekseger

I got my first commercial account when I was 15. And was chosen over several other businesses because of the professional way I presented my business. Since then I've picked up several other commercial accounts. Why shouldn't I go after more? That wasn't my question anyway.
  6. derekseger

Any other replies?
  7. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

What type of buildings or structures? I see you are in Iowa, what is the local terrain?
  8. butler L&S

butler L&S LawnSite Member

What about school? Can you mow 60+ acres and stay in school? I doubt it!
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea this is a big job. One person with a 60' deck probably looking at close to 3 days to just cut it--working 8 hours a day and the trimming would be a monster of a job too
  10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess I wouldnt touch it without having 7-8 guys on the job. At least 3 guys trimming and 4 mowing. With that many obstacles and only 60" mowers going I think $45-$50 an acre would be a good start. My goal would be to get a 5 year contract and then buy the equipment that would best justify doing the work, like winged mowers.