1 hp Toro Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

I recently visited the local Home Depot. I am interested in buying a new trimmer. The weedeater featherlite just doesnt do the job, haha, anyways I saw a toro 1 hp trimmer there for a $160. I know toro lawnmowers are good, but what about their trimmers, is it home depot crap or worth picking up. I don't cut to many lawns, i have around 10 accounts and next year probably only five due to pursuing another career. If anyone can help???

2. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I have zero experience with those trimmers but, if your pursuing another career next year it doesnt sound bad. That or just keep the one you have. I guess it depends on the accounts you have now and how much you actually do trim work on them. If you plan on using it for personal use or whatever accounts you keep I'd get something that is long lasting. Shin. Redmax Sthil etc.
    Best of Luck

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have the toro from lowes and I have replaced the String Head unit 3 times in 2 sesons dont buy its a peice of Cr@p

4. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

long lasting man i bought a snapper trimmer at wal mart 3 years ago for $99 and it has ran great all that time and it is still running like new

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

i posted in the other topic, but it is made by Homelite- wouldnt trust it

6. thebruken

thebruken LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have the $169 toro trimmer from Home Depot and it has been good so far. Easy to start and has very good power. I like this trimmer alot. I will wait and see if it holds up well but I would recommend it for what I have seen so far. By the way it does have a full length crankshaft and an outboard starter which is normally found on the more expensive lines.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Double rings as well I believe.Chromed cylinder etc.It will give echo a run for its money at the depot.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

just because it has double rings doesnt mean anything. I have seen much better engines with a single ring.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

then why do all comercials have double rings?
    Better compression.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Does the warranty cover commercial use? If it's not recommended for commercial use then the warranty should state so. I'm not saying it's a junk product, I just don't think a $169 trimmer will stand up to commercial use for very long. I'm currently using echo products, but I don't expect them to last more than a year or two at the most. When they give up, I'll replace them with Redmax or Shindaiwa. JMO