1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1 in strip left with Kubota ZD pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stacks, May 30, 2006.

1. Stacks

Stacks LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

New Kubota ZD 28 Pro, with the pro deck. I am having big problems with the mower leaving about a 1in strip of grass between the blades. It is as if the blades are too short and do not overlap or come close enough together. It is the worst when cutting thick grass like Emerald Zoysia, no matter how slow I go, if I go at the creep speed the mower still leaves the strip. In Bahia grass if the grass is tall the mower still leave the strip if the Bahia is shorter it does an OK job most of the time. Mower has plenty of power, just a very poor cut. Is this a known problem with this mower or did I get a lemon??????:cry:
  2. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

Have you changed the blades recently. If you have and I remember correctly kubota calls for the blades to all be at a certain position. I can't find my manual to say for sure. :)
  3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you timed the blades??
    I,m shure that you made shure the tips are sharp???
    are you using the stock blades?? BL
  4. Stacks

Stacks LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Brand new stock blades that came with the mower from the factory, Just had the mower a few weeks, blades still sharp. Not sure about the timing issue, could not find it mentioned in the owner's manual. I assume it has someting to do with setting up the blades in position to each other; how do I do it?
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

have you touched the blades yet or have they not been tinkered with? If nohing else, take it to the dealer.
  6. Daner

Here yaa go...hope this helps yaa out

7. Daner

This is the way the blades have to be timmed...even though there not kogg belts...they will cut much better when you set them like this.
    Also you may want to chuck the stockers and get the heavy duty high lift...they also made a dif....best of luck with the new beast!!
  8. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

There is no such thing as timing blades when they are V belt driven - such as the ZD28 Pro. You have tried to tell people in a few threads to do this and you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless the belt and pulleys are cogged, the blades will not stay in the position you put them in for more than a few minutes, if that.

The diagram you provided shows how to move the blades from one spindle to the next when you remove them for sharpening and put them back on. Moving the blades to the next spindle each time you sharpen helps to provide even wear on all blades. This has absolutely nothing to do with blade timing. There is no such thing on a V belt driven deck.

Please stop spreading misinformation like you know what you are talking about because you absolutely DO NOT.

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

THE most common reason for your problem is rounded corners on the blades. Have them shaprened OR replace them.:usflag:
  10. Daner

Maybe i,m using the wrong term ...Deej...on saying timming...I know what your tallking about with the kooged belts
    But if you sharpen your blades say once a week ...and you reinstall them back... if you line them up tip to tip they will not cut as good as keeping them perpedicular to each other
    Through my experience that pro deck that he is using will cut better if he adjust those blades as he sharpens them
    I know that they will slip.