1 man crews

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mblackburn, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

Is it possible on a 1 man crew to mow enough lawns to eventually be able to upgrade to a ztr without taking a loan? Keeping in mind I work a telecommute job that gives me most the day off but still pays close to 2k month so I have all the time in the world and a back up pay.

I try to avg 25 an hour with my honda 21 inch, but cant always do that...since I am using very good, but small equipment I market to smaller yards that you couldnt fit a ztr into anyway that levels the playing field out some

any comments by other guys still going solo?

Obviously if the business gets that big I dont mind hiring help just only if I cant possibly do it all myself

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Yes... thats how many of us started out and grew. I bought my Z (no loan) working solo and working my way up from a JD tractor.

3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Lets see...

Assuming 100 day season and 20 yards per day for a $10,000.00 Z mower

@ 1 dollar per cut
    10,000 cuts / 20 per day = 500 days or about 5 years depending on the area

@ 5 dollars per cut about 1 year.

Hope that helps

4. mblackburn

yeah but how the hell do you do 20 lawns a day with a push mower...lol honestly id probably by the 3k club cadet ztr from tractor supply first then upgrade

i know a ztr will pay for itself but if you dont have it you cant put it to work. If you dont have the ability to finance it you have to sling that honda around the yard

catch 22

5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So that means charge more and you won't have to wait as long?

6. Lumberjack

Its always a consideration....

A better plan as suggested by mblackburn is to get a smaller less expensive z and use it as a stepping stone to the bigger ones. a gravely 1534 can be had for <3000.00 and would certainly last more then a year. there are plenty of choices but what it comes down to is you have to make a plan in the first place that is realistic.

7. Lumberjack

sorry, interrupted.

One plan might be to save a dollar per cut and purchase a used commercial wb with a velky at about 1000.00 in the spring. After that you might be able to save 2 dollars per cut and do more cuts per day so at the end of year 3 you could easily afford a medium sized z mower...

Only you really can know what your costs are and how much you can do so sit down with a calculator and work the numbers untill you come up with a plan to suit your needs.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Why do you need a ztr if your only looking at doing somwhere in the 20 yard range? Get a used 48 WB for less than 2000 and put the money saved from a ztr towards other stuff

9. Diablo

Diablo LawnSite Member

I think its absolutely crazy to consider a Z rider yet. I like the idea put out about the used walk behind. Wait until business demands a better mower. Ive cut grass for years and never owned a Z. Dont get me wrong, they are cool but you will be amazed at the difference even a 36" WB will make with your productivity. Im sure alot of people here will disagree with me but I dont think there is any reason in the world to buy a rider unless you are dealing with alot of grass. Or you're old. j/k. :usflag:

10. mblackburn

i spent 750 on my honda :(

I want a ztr because right now i target the neighborhoods with the 25 - 35dollar lawns because thats what my equipment allows. There is a lot of much larger lawns around here that pay much more and those also have more extras but you need a ztr to be cost competitive with them

Im going to put more fliers and try to add two lawns per day to my schedule then use the entire proceeds of one and place into a fund for upgrades. Buy fuel with the other j /k