1 Man Outfits?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, Curious as to how many guys still operate a 1 Man outfit . I've Been Doing it for 10 years. Now with the Help of a Permagreen. Any Thoughts?

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i do it all by myself and wouldn't have it any other way. REALLY wish i had the permagreen though. My boss (the wife) told me i have to wait two more years.

3. Shades of Green LService

I Hear ya, I sat my wife down and explained how much more work i can take on because of the Permagreen. More work means more money in the bank.After that she saw it my way :clapping:And working solo is the only way to go

4. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Considering getting into the fert end of the bus next year exclusively. I have always been solo when doing residential mowing but think that if run right, Fert and squirt would be better all around. To name a few of the reasons...
    1 less overhead equipment wise
    2 can be run out of a single truck without need for a trailer
    3 less competition
    4 weather doesnt affect operations as much

Just curious, what was your best year when solo after taxes and how long did it take to set up that client base?

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have been in business since 1985, I have hired a few employees over the years, just had them work with me out of one truck. but mostly worked alone. I never wanted the headaches of several employees. A few years ago I had lunch with a guy that started about the same time I did and had grown to a medium sized company with about 3500 accounts, and he said several times how he wished he would have stayed small. he didn't make much more $ than I did and had all the headaches that go with the employees. a few weeks later I heard he sold to TG! he is gonna wait out the non-compete and start a new operation with no employees!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I do all the applications myself, but the mowing and maintenance gets done without me most of the time. When I gain as many accounts as to require even a little more help (somewhere between 4 and 500), I will certainly hire another tech - even part time (not just for the little bit extra). This way, the tech can take over some of the work, and leave me more time again for marketing, quality control, and building in other areas. It's all in the plan.:)

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Often I have also wanted to so back to the way it was, however, I have gotten used to my lifestyle. How many accounts are you solo guys doing?
    400 Accounts in my area would be alot of accounts for one guy due to driving distances, traffic flow etc. I have thought if I did 800-1000 dollars a day on a 5 week trun around with the sixth week being for weather, service calls etc. I could do about 120,000 for the year. but I wonder if I could handle a load such as this?

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Thats about where I'm at. most of my accounts are within a 10 mi radius of my home and I have fairly tight routes. I have right at 450 accounts and do about 20 a day. with the PG I'm done in about 4-5 hrs.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have about 460 accounts--fert and squirt. Do about 100,000 in sales per year. Use Permagreen spreader, plus hand spreader and mix fertilizer with weedo for smaller lawns.

10. Shades of Green LService

All of that by your self? How many a day ?