1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1 of our customers sold their home

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One of our customers sold their home and bought a house in Atlanta. :mad:

The new owners happened to be there when we came to mow and came out and interduced themselves to us. The old owner told them we would be there shortly if they wanted to meet us. They told us they would like us to keep doing all the services we were doing for the previous owner, because they really liked how everthing looked. ;)

BTW, the new owners are from Atlanta, they should of just traded houses. :D
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have this happen once or twice a year in the high end homes. The only time there's a problem is when you want to raise prices and the old owner discussed the money with the new one. If you know about it in advance, you may want to ask the old owner not to discuss money with anybody.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

just got a call yesterday that the owner sold her home and wouldnt need me to mow it anymore. ill have to stop by and introduce myself to the new owners. ill see how it goes. was a nice account too:(
  4. Eric ELM

We were recommended by the old owner and we usually are. The only ones we loose is if the new owners decide to do it themselves. Usually within a year or two, they give up and call us anyways. :)
  5. Eric,
    Like you said in your original post, the work speaks for itself. That’s the only way to retain clinets.

You’re lucky that this is not common for you. In my area, old people are taking advantage of their equity built up, sell their homes for a 300 to 400 % profit, and move to cheaper cost of living area.

The last couple of years, lost many older accounts, fortunately, I've been able to retain around 80% of them. Thank god our housing market has slowed down quit a bit from last year.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The majority of our properties that are sold end up being done by someone else. We only manage to keep maybe 20% of them. It is not how they look, the new owners are usually bargain hunters after buying that new house. Either that or they have a "friend" who has a 15 year old son who wants to do it.
  7. Eric ELM

A couple of years ago, we had a customer sell his house and we were recommended by him to do the new owner. We still do this lawn plus the seller bought a house 1/2 mile away that was much bigger and we do it also. The new one has irrigation, which is nice when we have no rain like this summer. ;)
  8. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I'm with Keith, retention on turnover is low. That's great if you can keep the dynasty going! :)
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have more than the usualy amount of customers selling out this year. Sometimes I get the new owner, sometimes not. It alway painful to see that for sale sign on a good customers house
  10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you see that the house is trying to be sold, especially in the off season when you don't have much contact with the customers, try to keep up with the news, that way you can try to sign on the new owner before its too late. Don't wait for someone to notify you and hope you get it.

Oh Yeah! Cross your fingers and hope its not a younger couple that wants to cut it themselves! I hated watching a lawn I cared for for 5 years, brought it from dust to a golf course, go down the tubes when the new owners cared for (ruined it) themselves!