$1 Per Minute Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

From reading threads on here I have came to the conclusion that $1 per minute per man hour is a good rate to charge for mowing. How exactly do you guys price this? Say I arrive to give an estimate next spring and I think the yard is going to take me 30 minutes to mow, edge, trim, and clean walks. Do I charge the customer $30 even or do I include drive time etc? Do I have the right idea?

Thanks... :)
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You have the right idea. Factor in the drive time also. If you leave to do a property which takes 30 minutes, but 1 hour drive time.....you lose. Dont forget, 1$ per minute is your price....not what you pay your employee..... ;) :)
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, you need to adapt the fact that you will get $30.00 MINIMUM for a lawn. So even your smallest yard you need to get paid $30.00 wether it takes you 30 mins or 15 mins.

After that i go up in $5.00 increments. I dont even measure anymore, i just eyeball it and can tell from there. Dollar a min doesnt really work for me. There are yards i have that are big but theres no trimming so i might knock a few bucks off the price if i dont have to trim or edge.

If i was i you i would go by sqaure footage to start off with. Ive always used $4.00 per 1000 SQ FT. By one of those measuring deals and use for a few weeks and pretty soon you'll be able to eyeball a yard and figure it you.

Just remember $30.00 MIINIMUM!
  4. Husky03

LOL, I am a long ways off form having an employee. I plan on sticking solo as long as I can.
    Are there any other factors besides drive time to think about? Majority of my accounts are very close together.

5. Husky03

I was thinking more along the lines of a $25 minimum, but I have the idea.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you should look at how much you want to make, and how much you need to make.
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to consider what your local market will bear. If there are lots of LCOs in the area that will mow for $20, it will be harder for you to have a $25 or $30 minimum. Not impossible, but harder.
  8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i used to do was $25 but people will pay $30.00 for small yards. Think about this. Average mowing where i live will last 35 weeks. thats an extra $175 a year. Now i raised all my 25s up to 30 which is 12 of my smaller houses. Therefore i made an extra $2100.00 last summer. That money right there is 50% of new walkbehind. Its your gas bill for the summer for smaller companies. Its going out and buying a couple new trimmers and blowers.

That little 5 dollars adds up quick.