1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$1 per minute rule

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Wells, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Last week there was a thread on here about "labor rates" and someone brought up the old $1 per minute rule. I have been hearing this same rule since I first joined LS back in 2003 so I did a quick search just to see how far back this so called rule was being discussed and I found it in a old thread from 2000.

This means that in 7 years people are still using the same 1$ per minute rule of thumb and that the basic rate hasn't moved in more than 7 years. You guys might want to think twice before putting to much stock in the 1$ per minute rule as it seems a bit outdated.
  2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

$1.00 per minute? :dizzy: I am up to $2.00 per min.:laugh: :laugh:
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do a lot mowing now that takes me 50 minutes once a month. That averages out to $3.10 per minute. I wish all my lawns averaged out that way... $60 should be an industry standard. However it never will be as long as there are weekend warriors out there looking to make a few spare bucks.
  4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have a Question about the dollar a minute rule. Do you use the time it takes to mow with the 36" walk behind or do you use the time it takes to mow with the 52" Zero Turn? Since I upgraded and now it takes less time to mow the same area am I suppose to charge less? I think that you just need to be competative and use or go with what ever you can extraxt for the area.
  5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The $1 a minute rule was something someone came up with years ago and evrybody seems to think it still applies after all these years and should still be followed.

I personally wouldn't put any stock in the rule as I think it's outdated but for those that still follow it all I can say is your leaving money on the table.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Like it has been said on here a million times, it has to do with your location as well. Today, that $1/minute may still be a lot for some areas while others may be way over that.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep...That's what I've been saying for years...it is basically just fallacy.:rolleyes:

Absolutely! Why should someone with a $10,000 mower make more than someone with a $300 pushmower??? That just isn't fair! But yes,...there ARE those who are uninformed that go for this "dollar a minute" thing...:dancing: :drinkup:
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Guess I can buy into that theory, but it amazes me that people have been talking about making that same dollar per minute since the year 2000. We should all be trying to maximize profits not give out "old" advice that was the standard 7 years ago. It's no wonder why in 10 years mowings bids are still going for the same rate now they were back then.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

very ..... interesting.... (its just like playing in a good bar band... same money being made as 10 and 15 years ago.....) as quoted to me by the famous Tony Packo him self......
  10. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

I would take $1440 a day anytime.