$1 per minute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you actually get $1 per minute? I cannot charge even close to that or I won't get any work! Am I not getting into the right neighborhoods or what. How can you charge that much???

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we actually get $1.10 per minute for mowing

3. tiedeman

from earth

after a while you will start to weed out the serious customers. The ones that are totally serious about their lawn, but of course those are also the picky ones. For us, we just made the switch overnight. We were and still are, taking on lots of customers so we thought that the best thing to do is to raise the price to eliminate the non-serious ones. So far, it has worked great.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of equipment are you using. That makes a huge difference. I use a 36" so I don't expect to make $60 an hour its more like $30 to $40 after drive time. But if I had a 52" hydro I probably could come closer to $60 or $50 an hour. Also, you can't be afraid to charge more. Everyday I realize that I should be getting more for a certain job and then I'm actually getting and wonder why I'm not charging more and I bet that most of my customers would pay alittle more.

5. Let it Grow

OK that makes more sense. We use two 21" Honda hydros. We have mostly smaller lawns, and just started this year. We usually are getting $35-$40. When I upgrade to a larger mower (hopefully next year) I should be pulling in right around $60/hour.
    I will weed some of the cheapos out also, but right now I just need to stay busy even if I'm not making quite as much as I would like.

6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question? A dollar a minute sounds good, but is that with a 21" mower that you are getting $1.00 a minute? or is that with a 52" Z rider? (Example) I pull up to a property at 12:00 o'clock I mow,edge,trim,blow, (with a 21" mower) completely done back in the truck at 1:00 o'clock at a dollar a minute I need $60.00 dollars for this property. (Example) The same property, but I use a Z rider,and I'm done in 25 minutes do I charge $25.00?

This is why I don't allways charge a dollar a minute, I have a property that I do that I can do in less than 50 min. and I still get aver a dollar a minute.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

keep in mind when people are charging $1/min or there abouts they're using quality commercial machines and technique.

The other day i was talking with a younger guy that asked me what i charge for lawns and i said usually it works out to about $1/min and he had this look of "holy ****" in his face. He said "i've got some yards that take me almost 2 hours to do and i'm only getting $30, i guess i better see about raising my prices." I said "well, what kind of machine do you have?" He said "a 21" craftsman and an electric blower and weedwacker." I ended the conversation with "yah, sounds like you're getting jipped alright." :dizzy: :dizzy:

8. Let it Grow

I run the best commercial mowers I can buy here in Walla Walla, and I only hire good hard workers with experience. I am fully licensed too, but there are a lot of guys out there with none of that who can beat my price, but our lawns always look better!

9. tiedeman

from earth

we don't charge a dollar a minute. That is how much we have to make during the day in order to cover overhead costs. Sometimes we make more, like around $1.25 per minute at a job site, but in the end of the day we need to make $1.10 per minute. So at the end of an 8 hour day. 480 minutes at $1.10 per minute we need to make at least minimum $528 gross in that day.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

tiedeman.. What do you mean by "we"? Does that mean two of you?

To the original question.. Around here it would be tough to average $60/hr... I can do $40/hr consistantly.