#1 thing need to be successful in this business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, Oct 18, 2006.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The #1 thing that will make you successful of just a 1-2 yr wonder in this business is your "people skills"

Can you deal with and communicate with all types and personalitiies ? Or as I keep reading you fired this customer because they were a pita.

There are definatly pita's but there is usually a way to get them to come around to your way of thinking or pay you enough to put up with theres.

No matter how well the work or how cheap the price, if you don't have the people skills you won't last long.

comments? thoughts?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, and bingo was his name-o................

:waving:

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Not much room to comment. That's pretty much "it" in a nutshell. I can think of one member here who would benefit greatly from sharpening his people skills. Not going to name names but he really thinks his ideas and business practices are "top" among these "sites". :laugh: :laugh:

Buck

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

So tell us how do you deal with different personality types ??:)

We have heard other theorys but not every one agrees with them, a fellow that we will call "topsites" has plenty of theorys , but lots of people beg to differ.:)

5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i tend to agree some what .i wonder how many customers consider there lawn guy to be a pain in the arse:laugh:

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

agreed mac...and throw in a little financial skills as well

7. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I think that first and foremost if you really like what you are doing your attitude and interaction will show it.

Beyond that, you are absolutely right, knowing how to 'handle' people is paramount.

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you forgot the part about the Red Flags and opening the can of whoop azz on those types of customers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Really, this is the type of business we are in, SERVICE, add to that having some financial common sense as RF commented and your ride will be smoother. IMO service = good communication/people skills

We are fortunate, we sell pleasure and free time to folks, unlike my or any other insurance man that only sells fear.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Differntly:)

Every person is unique, its up to you to realize what it will take to gain there confidence

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think if you follow this advice you will aggravate yourself blue trying to please everybody. When you play the game their way you are handing them control over your business. No doubt there is something to be said about not being so rude, this advice is kindly taken, but bending over backwards isn't where I'm going either.

So I treat everybody the same, either they already see things my way, or I thank them for their time.

It's just like that thing when I answer a new call, we banter back and forth just a bit, and then it's always:
    May I have your address, please?

Now the bs ends right there, either they give me their address as I kindly asked, or I thank them for their time.
    No, I don't want to please them by allowing them to give me directions.
    No, I don't want to please them by letting them jerk me into a different conversation.
    It's real simple, please give me your address or I thank you for your time.

There is again truth to not being so rude, say please and thank you and say it nicely, while remaining firm in your goals.