1 time cuts

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jun 13, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

This time a year again. My helper has a few family members and friends that want a 1 time cut because their mower broke down. I tell them my customers come first and with all the rain I will get them if I can but it may not happen. They look at me funny and walk away.I hate the 1 time long yard cuts
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch LawnSite Member

I don't do 1 time cut's! But have had customers say they will go on the route for a biweekly service and when I get there for there 2nd mow they drop me. Had this happen once this year. Maybe I should have pulled out the contract and had them sign it for a minimum of 4 mows.

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had some good accounts come out of one time cuts, but I always price it right which in turn scares away the cheapos , and I require payment first.

4. We do them and don't have a problem squeezing them in somewhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Fencek

Fencek LawnSite Member

Payment first of course. And they always take a backseat to my customers.

I usually don't have an issue with 1 timers. I've managed a couple accounts from these type of customers.

6. lonestarniner

lonestarniner LawnSite Member

I will also squeeze them in but I will charge more because it usually takes longer to mow due to the lawn not being maintained. I once charged a lady $200 (Originally quoted $150) for a zero lot yard because she lied and told me her husbands mower broke down and they missed a couple of weeks...BS...The $50 extra was wear and tear on my machines. :clapping:

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

You will be amazed how many people seem to have mower "problems" this time of year when the temps get into the mid 90s ...mowers must only break when it is above 90 :laugh:

Charge them appropriately if you can fit them in and by no means are this people generally a priority or should they be. This time of year my min for a one time honestly is $40 bucks or higher for 4K or smaller lot.

Just signed a couple up for the month of July for 4 cuts when they are on vacation. 5K lot - no shrub trimming or spraying - Cost $60 a cut.

They thought it was high at first but then I explained they are asking me to take time out during one of the hotter months of the year to cut there lawn and once I said that it was like a light had been turned on and no more issue.