1 time service contracts?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by NotTheNeighborhoodKid, Jun 27, 2005.

1. NotTheNeighborhoodKid

NotTheNeighborhoodKid LawnSite Member

Hi First time posting here

once again i get hung out to dry by a customer! :angry:
    I spent a half hour talking with them a week ago and and set up a time to cut back A LOT of monkey grass. i gave him a quote of $80 which was fair to both of us. Well i pull up today and the job was done, i talked to him and he said he found some one to do it cheaper.

What can i do to avoid this, i do 1 time jobs but i cant afford to get jerked around or have my time wasted.

My Idea was: (Has anyone tried it?)
    1 Time service contracts that say that the customer and I agreed for me to work and within a certain timefrain(1-3weeks after meeting)
    that say i still get paid if someone else does it because we had the agreement?

Like i said what are my options?

Thanks
    -Kevin!

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a 2 part work order/estimate form. It is an estimate until signed and then becomes a work order. We made up our own.

3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

get a signed agreement or money up front. If not all the money get half then half after work done. i would still get an agreement though.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

See that kind of thing is part of the reason why my attitude is like it is, why I'm so aggressive, non-chalant and salty about it all... I been through this so many times, deep inside it burns slow so don't expect me to take your word (or anyone else's) for anything until we've known each other for at least a year (two is better). Yeah I know how it is, and when my name is a number, so is yours.

Treat me right, I'll do you right and Mistakes can be forgiven.
    Treat me wrong, see you later and No second chances.
    Yes, there is a difference.

What to do, what can you do?
    Written contracts? Well we're standing under God making verbal agreements solid as gold so if that's not good enough, why should written be any better? They think nothing of breaking a verbal contract, you think written can't be broken? Think again.
    Oh yes, now you can take them to court, well that's all fine and dandy except that stuff doesn't excite me at all, not in the least. And, it can backfire and they take you to court instead and the fun really begins.

No, I do nothing but when I pull up and it's already done, I keep right on going and cross them off my schedule AND out of the notes as well. Hope they never call again because if they do, I will NOT help them, no matter what.

What else can you do?
    Don't help them no more, and if you can see the low-baller coming in the future, you don't go out to estimate the job in the first place, I dunno...

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you plan to take him to court and win your $80 + costs and your time to be in court after you acutally did no work, and are confident you can win this, then by all means get a good contract. Otherwise get paid in advance, or just forget the one time crap, because thats what it usually is. Some dumb redneck let their lawn get out of control and they want a cheap instant fix to a problem that took months to develop.

6. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

hey i got the dumb redneck, one time, out of control yard, that i think i'll be in court to collect on, working now.
    i new it was iffy at best, but i had an open slot, and got a signed bid/proposal.
    i could have made six bales of hay out of the front yard (total sq ft 29,000 front and back).
    have a good 4th of july, i'm going to take half a day today and all day monday off. it's so hot and dry here i'm shot.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Signed contract and 1/2 payment upfront for all of my new customers regardless of what the job is..