1 Ton Dumps-Your Opnion

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scooterdayton, Jan 24, 2008.

1. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wisconsin Rapids

Hey guys,
    been struggling on what dually dump to purchase to expand the business this year. I figured you guys would know best. I do lawn care/landscaping in summer and winter plowing.

probley looking somewhere in the 1995-2002 range
    do you suggest diesel or gas?
    gas mileage??
    4 wheel or will 2 still push the snow?
    break downs, hunk of junks, stay away from?
    any help would be great

thanks yall so much for your time!!!!
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Really depends on YOUR needs. Gas/Diesel debate... I will never own another gas due to the nature of our business. As far as that is concerned, if your not doing mileage, heavy hauling/towing, a gas will do just fine and you will not see the true benefits of a diesel. 4/2 wheel... depends on your conditions. All of our dumps are 2 wheelers, but all carry spreaders. They push snow like beasts, but have their limits as far as hills are concerned. It really depends on your geographical area, and if you are doing commercial, residential, or municipal work. I,m a ford fan for midsize trucks so I wouldn't go any other way until you get into the 26k plus range. Hope that helps a little. :)
  3. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wisconsin Rapids

Yea that helps a lot,
    do a lot of driving to job sites a day that why i was thinking diesel, even
    though i wont be hauling all that much wieght all the time.
    i just know how hard they are to work on and get running in the winter.
    i suppose its really a toss up.
    thanks again!!
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Just my .02 you should go heavier than a 1-ton. Unless your just hauling mulch I would look at a Ford 4/550 or Chevy 4/5500 size truck.
  5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Your best bet would likely be a ford f450 or f550 both will do all and more than you need at this point in time. Go diesel then you will have the bullet proof 7.3 litre engine. One of fords best. Great on fuel easy to manouever in traffic, I would go with a regular 4x2 drive even plowing snow just a bit of weight in the back and your good to go. A 4x4 will cost you quite abit more, to purchase and secondly to maintain.
  6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Gas on gm before 2001 after duramax, that is number one choice duramax, Ford anything pre 97 but the 7.3, none after 97, dodge all but the 360 around 2000 were weak and do a manual on all but the gm. Zedosix I have to disagree look the 450's and 550 turning radius is worse than alot of semi's, fuel mileage is uncomparable you have one less gear as far as diesels go,high repairs what is that little plug in for in winter. Also Ford does recomend hauling, dirt, rock, mulch, salt, coal, salt, or sand with their trucks, claiming they are not designed for this work.
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you expalin this sentence a bit? I'm confused. Did you mean "Ford does NOT...." ??
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Show me where Ford says that.
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That last comment is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard on this site.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't even consider a regular 1 ton there is no payload with them.

A F-450 F-550 Ford or 3500HD Chev (19.5 wheels).

Then you have all kinds of Cabover trucks in the 1.5 ton range.

As for gas or diesel if you can find a low mileage diesel then go for it. The V-10 Ford is okay if you get the newer version the old 2 valve engine was a spark plug popper :laugh:

The Chevy trucks with 454 or 8.1 gas will kill you in fuel expenses. Same with Ford trucks with the 460 gas engine. Just starting them up costs 10 bucks :cry: