1 truck or 4 trucks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by P.Services, Oct 8, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

im looking to add another truck to my company, the truck i really want is a f-650 extended cab hook lift. now this truck runs around $45,000. im also looking at this from a different perspective and thinking about buy multiple older dump trucks. they are 1993 chevy kodiaks with 3126's and Allison auto's all have around 45k miles.they are former municipality trucks with extensive service records. they run about $12k a piece

the hook truck is a newer truck that will run better and need fewer repairs but its only one truck to make money as opposed to 3 or 4 kodiaks that can be running around making money. this would especially come into play in the winter when i can have 4 trucks plowing as opposed to just one.

they would be used for everything from hauling mulch to pulling trailers to being off road haul trucks on my dirt moving projects.

any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

idk thats a tough call.. 4 more trucks to insure, register, change oil, tires, maintenance.. i would think one great truck would be a wiser decision.. although if snow plowing is your big thing it might be worth the gamble for the 4 trucks..

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a great idea picasso, but do you have the work to keep four trucks or one truck busy? Also do you have the money to pay 4 guys to keep those four trucks running?

When are you thinking of purchasing these trucks or truck?

4. P.Services

snow plowing isnt my big thing but it will grow. i can also have 4 landscape jobs going and being suplied as oposed to one.

5. P.Services

if i dont have the work then the trucks will sit with no drivers in them, i dont see that happening though.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How many employees do you want ?

Trucks can be expensive you may get 2 single axle dumps for 12 grand each but you have 6 tires that are expensive,brakes need replacing etc. I'am not a fan of automatics in medium duty trucks.

A hooklift truck can do it all you can have a few boxes so if you need to go get mulch fill the box up drop it go get a load of gravel in another box.

I don't care how well muni trucks are maintained they are all driven hard.

If you want a hooklift on a single axle you want a heaviest gvw single you can get. A F-650 will have a pretty limited payload.

7. P.Services

i like auto's in all trucks because its hard to find guys that even know what a clutch is let alone know how to and how not to use it.

thats the thing with the hook, i can have one driver and have the truck just running around all day droping this off and picking that up and what not. hey could have a box droped with mulch on site before the guys show up and then they can just go strait to the job site, clean up after pack the box up and go home. later in the evening it can be picked up.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

No offence but if you can't find a driver that can drive a medium duty with a standard then they shouldn't be driving a medium duty. Even if the medium duty only has a 26,000lb gvw you can cause damage to the truck. Get offroad with a load and start spinning wheels or get stuck you still can break axle shafts or blow u joints with a automatic.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

more trucks = more employees, more taxes, more money, more repair, more bills, more headaches, more tires, more inspections, more fuel, more, more, more.....

you'll have a hard time keeping under CDL trucks busy anyway...

what i personally think you need to do is get your CDL and buy a tandem with a tag trailer and ditch your underpowered Kodiak all together

10. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Now I know you probably won't take my opinion to heart since I am just the "resident oil !@#$%" but here it is. To me, this is a no brainer. Go w/ the 4 trucks for the price of 1!!!! If they only have around 45K miles on them and have been services regularly what is the hold up? If for example 1 truck can make $5000 during one snow, won't 4 trucks bring $20,000? Same with dirt, mowing, etc. Just my thoughts :waving:

Oh yeah, you could switch them over to Amsoil also so they start easier for you at 3:00 am!!!!! Sorry.........I couldn't resist:rolleyes::drinkup: