1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

1" valve ID

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by manfromearth, Aug 6, 2010.

1. manfromearth

manfromearth LawnSite Member

I'm working on a system that is probably about 15 years old or so. The entire system was Toro at one time, but through the years, vavles, heads, etc. have been switched to Rain Bird. There is also some pretty funky piping going on, especially at the main manifold. I'd like to save myself some digging, root pruning, and complicated re-piping by replacing the guts of this one bad valve with a new one. There is only one set of numbers etched on the valve..."L88". This may be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know what I'm dealing with?

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I'm guessing a date code for a Toro valve.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

loving the pics pal

4. irritation

Probably a 250 series, does it look like this.....

[​IMG]

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I hate all those valves...although those repair kits they make for those work well...

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I hate the toro valves that the common is daisy chained to each solinoid and you insert the wire into the solinoid insted of having leads
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

The Flo pro with direct attach solenoid. What a POS. If I open a valve box with one of those that doesn't leak and works I just put the lid back on and slowly back away. Hoping the light of day didn't make it wanna act up.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

In spite of their drawbacks, those Toros were great valves and lasted for years. We don't have any in service anymore, but they prolly lasted twenty-five years +-.

9. irritation

I probably have 200 systems still using those valves.
    Have another 100 with Flo-Pro's :hammerhead:

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry.... where do I send the sympathy card?