1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1 walker - 3 different mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutting edge, Aug 24, 2002.

1. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark Lazer HP 48". I love my mower, but I have been toying with the idea of buying a Walker. I have a wide range of property types. Most need mulching, some need side discharge, and several need bagging occasionally (pine straw does not mulch well). I was wondering if one Walker with three different decks would be a practical solution?

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it would. I know because I did that. 42'' bagging deck, 42'' mulching deck, and a 52'' SD. You need to plan for the room on the trailer, or else set up your route so you don't have to switch decks during the day. Only at the shop.
  3. cutting edge

Thanks for the quick reply. What is the price range of the decks? How quick can you change one? I have 3 properties at one stop, 2 mulch 1 SD. This year I have just been SD all 3 because it takes too much time to put on the mulch kit. How do you store the decks on your trailer? How much do they weigh?

Thanks again.
  4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

you can swap decks in under 10 minutes by your self.
    The 52 sd is pretty heavy, but with long handles attached to it it can be moved around pretty easily.
    I'd say doo your bagging first, then put the deck up on the truck with the grass
    (the ghs decks are light) then mulch then on to the big mutha'
    BTW I am cutting properties in the same time with a 52 that I was servicing with a 61 ztr bobcat for the previous 3 seasons.
    Less trimming too.
    Price is variable-high over 2000
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Changing decks is relatively fast. With two people no time at all.
    The bigger ones are heavy.

Price range for used decks is $900 for smaller decks to over $2000 for new stuff. Depends on what you can find.
  6. cutting edge

Thanks for the info.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There are used decks around. I got my 52SD for a great deal and it is an excellent deck. The 52" deck is a SD or a Mulching deck and it just takes a half minute to put the end baffle on. There is really no need to buy a 42"mulching deck unless you have to get thru gates. The 52" is probably the best deck on the market. It is built like a tank, used double blades, has been redesigned to have less blowout and tilts up for maintenance. I also own a 42GHS deck for collection of leaves and thatch in the proper seasons but from late spring to fall it just sits on the trailer.

You will be able to get an older 52 for around a grand/possibly less but it wont have the tilt up option. I'd go with the tilt up because it is easier to change blades. I have increased efficiency and cut time tremendously with the 52". It is heavy but not impossible to change, it had a handle and a assist wheel to help line it up. After you do it 3 or 4 times you will get the hang of it.

Thats what works for me, Good Luck.
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

if a 42" is what you need, don't buy all of them complete.

the 42" ghs, sd and mulch use the same carriers.

the 48" ghs and sd use the same carriers.

buy one deck complete with carrier, then just buy the other decks without the carriers.....save money, space and time!

pull 4 pins and pop it out!

much lighter, make small racks out of angle iron for transport!