1 wheeled sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaywayne, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jaywayne

jaywayne LawnSite Member

i have a question just bought a scag walkbehind an i have a 1 wheel sulky on it . i used it for the frist time last sat. cutting my aunt's yard with it an i begin to see it was making ruts in her yard. so can any body tell me how to stop making ruts in the yard? is it a special why you have to ride it! or im to heavy for it im 235 so is my weight a big factor? please help! by the way its a 36in. jaywayne

2. hamiltonlawncare

hamiltonlawncare LawnSite Member

no "special" way to ride it as for rutting how wet was the ground? shouldn't rut too bad however a single wheel velke leaves a "stripe" where wheel pushes grass over and gets real noticeable the more time you run in same track a two-wheel velke rides in path of walkbehind wheels so not a noticable of a strip

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

how about walking behind it :weightlifter:

4. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I use a two wheeled sulky on my 36 Viking and it never causes a problem. I'm 185.

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

My BOP dually has a "stepsaver" as they call it that is two wheeled. It doesn't rut and stripes like a bandit. I really like the fact that you are in the same position behind the mower no matter how you turn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I don't use my one wheel velkie cuz it leaves a wheel line in my stripes.

Why would you put a velkie on a 36" mower. It doesn't have the power to carry you IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device