1 year plant warranty

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cleancutccl, Jul 28, 2007.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a written 1 year plant warranty they would be willing to share. I'm only interested in coverage on trees and shrubs, not perennials. Or you could email it to ggh@platypusrd.com.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Only trees purchased by RWF are guaranteed.....takes effect when paid for in full. Nothing on plants used outside their natural environment.

Watering......thoroughly once every 7-10 days. Soil moisture should be checked beside root ball 4-6" deep before next watering. If moist don't water and check in 3-5 days. Summer thunderstorms shouldn't be counted as sufficient.

To water thoroughly, the water must be absorbed by the soil very slowly. The hose should be laid next to each plant, turned down to a trickle and left to run for 30min on container stock and small burlap wrapped plants. On large trees, the water should run 1-3 hours to insure good deep watering. Each soil has its own characteristics and should be watered accordingly....that's a kicker.

Guaranteed healthy and free of disease and insects at installation. Warranty does not cover those plants not cared for by not following watering instructions or not cared for against disease and insects.

Basically you guarantee a healthy plant because if it dies its a 99 percent chance it falls under something I listed. Things to watch for are good (not cracked) rootballs or other stress and your pretty much in the clear.

Merry Christmas.
  3. cleancutccl

Thanks tthomas, any others would be appreciated. The main problem I'm running into is getting the watering instructions in writing in a way the customer can understand it enough to execute it.
  4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

"Plants that die as a result of neglect (not watering) or act of nature (animal damage, storm damage, or insect infestation) are not covered under warranty."

Include some guidelines on watering so that the customer can't come back at you with "I watered every other day but they died." Every other day could mean putting 1 quart of water on a 3' shrub. I would guess that more than 3/4 of all of the plants we replace under warranty died because of a lack of water.
  5. cleancutccl

Thanks for the post, and that is the problem putting it into words that a customer can understand and execute.
  6. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

We always include a watering schedule when it comes to plant/landscape installs. We also include watering instructions for newly renovated and/or sodded properties. Watering is usually the number 1 killer of plants in newly planted landscapes and most nuseries will take back the plants because they can credit the plant within the year. The plant will show any weakness or death within the first year of its life. We preach education to our customers because it makes them more aware of what they are paying for and also to ensure a good install.