1 zone, 4-5004's no pressure

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by P.I.L.C., Jul 30, 2006.

1. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

I have a system with 6 zones, 1 of the six has 4 rain bird 5004's on it. My static pressure is 52psi. Heads are nozzled at 8gpm. Turned on the system this morning and it worked fine. Pressure runs at about 23psi, turned it on again manually to adjust and it won't pop the heads up but only half way, pressure goes down to about 11psi. Any ideas?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try 3 gpm nozzles, for a start, and you might have to go lower. (it depends on pipe sizes and distances) - four 8 gpm heads sounds like way too much flow for a single zone with 52 psi static.

3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I you have 52 static then 8 nozzels are way to big. When we put a new system in we usually put 3 nozzle to start out with then we may switch some out if nessesary.

You also have to consider the time of day. In some neiborhoods where everyone waters at 5 am you may not have alot of water pressure. Where at 4am you have 52 psi and then at 5 am you may have 40psi because everyone and there brother has there irrigation on.

4. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

Heads are at 2gpm, the zone is at 8gpm. I first thought there was a leak somewhere, but now I am starting to look into the valve a little bit more.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Take house pressure when the other zones are operating, to see what you have if a zone is actually covering. With 52 psi, even a flow of 8 gpm might be too much. Make certain there aren't any partially-closed valves in the flow-path.

6. P.I.L.C.

P.I.L.C. LawnSite Member

All the zones are running around that 20 to 25 psi area. I am going to put in 1.5 gpm nozzles and try that to see what happens. I think then my next step is to put in a booster pump.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Check to see if the flow control knob on the valve is throttle down.

What are other zones moving as far as GPM?

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

On second thought, if it was working good in the morning, try manually opening it in the morning, to rule out water system usage.

Perhaps a second zone was also open?

Does this system have a master valve?

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

What brand and model of valve?

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Sounds like a valve issue. Does it hiss or make any noises like it might be restricting the water flow?