1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1 Zone Not Working

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by No Rush, Mar 27, 2008.

1. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

I have been trouble shooting a system and can not seem to figure out what is wrong; I think it may be a leak but, could it be the valve? I have checked and verified that the water is on at each cut off.

zone one, mp rotators, 8.5 gpm, rain bird 100-DVF-SS: 1"; this zone works sometimes, when it does work it takes 4-5 minutes to build up enough pressure to work, all mp's pop up. When I turn zone off and try to turn it on again, nothing happens but water running out of sprinklers.

zone two, works great.

zone three, works great.

Any and all help is appreciated! :confused:
  2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like a lot of flow-by at the wiper seal.

It's the reason I went back to 1804s after playing with Hunter SRSs for a season. Had a job with low flow demand but lots of small radius heads and they just wouldn't all pop-up.

If these are older 1804 heads, then try replacing the "Co-molded Wiper Seals".

Look it up here if your distributor needs to order them.

Sometimes it's nearly the same cost to buy 1802s and cannibalize them.
  3. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

If you are doing this with the controller, try it manually. if works manually, check solenoid coil and replace if out of range. If manually does the same, take valve apart and check for crap in valve and clean. If no crap, probably need to replace diaphragm. Oh, and check to see if it has a flow control option. If so, it may be turned it to far. Make sure all is clean and try again. Also, could be a leak between the zone valve and the heads. Lateral line, head body cracked, funny pipe cracked... that is lowering pressure. Hope this helps.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Completely agree with the two above posts. either a valve not opening all the way, or blow-by at the wiper seals. POSSIBLY an auto drain not closing either. I've seen that as well. It may close after a couple minutes and finally allow pressurizing.
  5. Ferti-man

You should be able to see the water rushing by the stem and seal if this is the case. But if low pressure is before the heads, the seals don't get snug and leak as well until pressure is built up.
    Sometimes its good to look at the option of cannibalizing, though you would think the seals by themselves would be cheaper. :dizzy:
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What they said ^
  7. Ferti-man

Man of few words, but so well said! :weightlifter:
  8. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Good news! After further trouble shooting and digging I found a leak around the water meter; the city came out on Saturday to replace the meter and guess what? Everything is working!!
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Good, because my gut instinct was just extremely low pressure based on my experience :)
  10. Ferti-man

The zone 2 & 3 working great took me away from that thought! Were these drip zones?