1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$10.00 a yard.......any yard in the city.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Mar 20, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

A LCO came to my fathers house today passing out brochures.

He told my father that he would mow and trim any yard in the city for a flat rate of $10.00 a yard.

How long will it take this guy to rethink his business adventure.

Now you see them....now you don't.

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

About 2 weeks of busting his ass for no money. Then his work will turn south and you can come in an take his accounts. I would turn him in, probably has no liscence or insurance.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. Already talked to a couple of guys that said I can't mow lawns no more. NO money in it. HA....... Thats cause they had an add in the nickle (penny saver) that said " ANY lawn 12 dollars, 5 bucks for trimming."
    Bought there near new stihl FC 85 off of them for 150.
    And that is all I have to say about that.
  4. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

$10.00 a lawn this guy must be desperate HAHA ya have to set a minimum for your acounts i wouldnt do any under $30 ,its hard enough to make money in this business , especially when you have these kinda guys under bidding you , i had the same thing happen to me in the past year with a commercial account they signed a 3 year contract with the guy , the first year it was $60 weekly just so he would under bid me by $15 then the next year he jacked the prices up by $30 bucks , Who do you think they called the following spring ;o)
  5. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

some people arent that swift, if the customer dumps one guy to a lower bid what kinda loyalty you think they will have when prices go up like what the dude with a really long name before me said.
  6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

the bad thing is that is probably not the cheapest here in AL..
  7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hey leave me alone I gotta make a living somehow:confused:
  8. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an ad here in the Coastal Trading Post a few weeks ago....$8.00 per yard:mad:
  9. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

lets put it in perspective, he has no insurance and pays no taxes, so assuming he could mow 10 postage stamp size lawns a day that's $500.00 free and clear. I'll bet that is more than he made at the local convienent store. I totally disagree w/ this type of fly by night operation but I refuse to loose sleep over it.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 lawns lined up that I charge 10 dollars a cut, weekly. Leaving the truck running, I can cut all 3 complete, back in the truck, in about 2 minutes. 30 dollars for 2 minutes worth of work, minus employee payroll (32 cents), = profit of 29.68 for 2 minutes worth of work.
    2 minutes = 29.68 /2 = $14.81 a minute x 60 minutes = $888.60.
    $888.60 an hour minus drive time and payroll for one guy ($10).
    If I can get all $10 houses like the ones I have, I'd be a happy guy! Send them all my way!